New Mexico, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratz virus. And a shroom pizza sounds good right about now :).

Members don't see this ad.

The Mailbox is now just a box . . . :laugh: on the other hand, I am probably going to move in with the folks in May, so that will be awsome too. Somni, its a four year tuition only scholarship. So the fees are not covered. I gotta figure out a way to get 9000 more bucks before school starts so I can get out hopefully scott free.

Well, no big fin aid love for me. Way too white for that.... not really. Just not a good enough gpa. I'm glad virus got the scholarship, if he hadn't I would lose all faith in humanity. Plus, now I know where to go on friday nights for someone who will be able to buy me a drink.. Ha. Good job A.

Well, no big fin aid love for me. Way too white for that.... not really. Just not a good enough gpa. I'm glad virus got the scholarship, if he hadn't I would lose all faith in humanity. Plus, now I know where to go on friday nights for someone who will be able to buy me a drink.. Ha. Good job A.

Well, did you get at least a lil' some-some? I hope so.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having a hard time finding the motivation to keep going to work and class knowing that no matter what you do from now until August (except being arrested or something) you will still be in medical school? I am taking a class now that I really like, but I really want to go to California until school starts to hang with family and friends and relax.

What's up with living situations? I really want to live with another med student, and I want to be within walking distance (north campus) of the school. I live alone now, and I want to get a roommate, it just seems more fun.

How's everyone keeping it together on the waitlist? Little more than a month for you guys. I was told that I was very high on the list, so I'm glad a lot of people got to move up.

I am going crazy on the waitlist! I wish they would just tell us our position so I would relax a little bit! I am having trouble staying motivated just being on the waitlist... If I was accepted I would be living on the beach until class starts:thumbup:

Anyone else having a hard time finding the motivation to keep going to work and class knowing that no matter what you do from now until August (except being arrested or something) you will still be in medical school? I am taking a class now that I really like, but I really want to go to California until school starts to hang with family and friends and relax.

What's up with living situations? I really want to live with another med student, and I want to be within walking distance (north campus) of the school. I live alone now, and I want to get a roommate, it just seems more fun.

How's everyone keeping it together on the waitlist? Little more than a month for you guys. I was told that I was very high on the list, so I'm glad a lot of people got to move up.

I've lost most of my motivation at work. Our postdoc left for another job and since I joined the lab right after him, three years ago, I'm now the one with the most experience. Apathy and being the most experience is not a great combination, especially when I'm suppose to train new undergrads and a new technician..... sigh.

I'm going crazy on the waitlist, too. I find myself formulating Plan A (I get pulled off the waitlist) and Plan B (I have to reapply next cycle). At least on May 18th I'll know how I stand on the waitlist and if I should just move on to Plan B.

I am doing the same Jinx. I am already formulating Plan B, i.e. finding a full time job and somewhere where i can gain research experience. Anyone know of a good research job open?!

Yeah, so much trouble I actually just quit. No joke. I need a little time off. I have been a full time student or had a full time job for the last 5 years, usually both at the same time. Three months off should get me in the right state of mind for school. At least thats what I tell myself.

Uggghhh, I am now kicking myself for taking this class!! I have to look on the bright side though, I am kicking butt in the class and it will count towards the PhD portion of my degree. However, as soon as this class is done, I'm quitting my job in the lab and moving to SD for a few months and doing a road trip up to Seattle and back. Damn my motivation for wanting to stay in the school mode by taking these non-degree graduate classes!

Yeah, so much trouble I actually just quit. No joke. I need a little time off. I have been a full time student or had a full time job for the last 5 years, usually both at the same time. Three months off should get me in the right state of mind for school. At least thats what I tell myself.

Guys, i am about to quit any second now, I just can't take the the current jobs I have now. Please, does anyone know of anyone that will hire me for just about anything? I am looking in the 12+ dollars range. My main skill set includes tutoring anything to anyone, and I have people that can vouch for my tutoring skills. I am also an A+ certified Computer technician and can fix just about anything wrong with any computer system. These are my two most distinguished skill sets but I can do just about anything if you show me.

I can't keep working for where I am at right now and I am in a dire financial situation. Any help will be appreciated guys.

Man, I myself am trying to find another job. If I find one, you can have mine. The drive is killing me.

Or you all can join me in Plan C, to wit: win the Powerball.

Man, I myself am trying to find another job. If I find one, you can have mine. The drive is killing me.

Or you all can join me in Plan C, to wit: win the Powerball.

Victoria's Secret?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, front desk clerk customer care representative at a women's clinic. Virus, just go over to the Victoria's Secret call center and tell them you have experience both in IT and in personal undergarment fittings.

No, front desk clerk customer care representative at a women's clinic. Virus, just go over to the Victoria's Secret call center and tell them you have experience both in IT and in personal undergarment fittings.

Jinx, I have no clue how you do it. You are just amazing and still the top candidate in my book. Between, Work, School, a bunch of kids, the amcas, the mcat and much much more. You are just amazing. Keep your head up high as you give me much streagnth to persevere.

This has been a helpful thread, glad I found it.

Last edited:
How did yall find out about your financial aid status? Did they call? Write? Smoke signals?

In regards to the Tution Scholarship, Dr. Bear called me and he told me over the phone.

In regards to financial aid, I got a letter from the office yesterday telling me to fill out the FAFSA. So no idea whats going on with that.

Do they let you know either way? Or if I haven't heard yet, should I take that as a "There's your sign" moment??
Everything that is happening still feels like a magical enchanted dance happening behind closed doors and we are only being exposed to scraps of what they want us to gnaw on. So don't feel too bad if it feels like chilling in the dark, we're right here chilling with you, too bad its too dark for anyone to see anyone else.

How long did yall's background checks take? Mine just finished yesterday, and I'm wondering if that's holding things up at all.
Unless you have a bad habit of exposing yourself to five year old school girls, yours should come back tomorrow.

PS I'll be looking for somewhere to live as well. We should all meet up on 2nd look day -- perhaps we could wear/carry something to make us easily identifiable as SDNers?

You seem to be fond of Mr. Engvall, so I wouldn't mind wearing one of those signs he usually hands out.

winnie.jpg

So I will be pulling my name off the waitlist. Now everyone under me will move up a spot. However, I will be starting medical school with all of you in July!!! I just found out about the MD/PhD spot, it will be me!!

Congrats! Well I suppose there are a few bright people on the UNM admissions board after all!! Well done somni.

Haha, thanks brother. But don't forget that the MD admissions is a different group than the MD/PhD admissions committee, so you may be making a false statement. I hope we can work together one day. Do you know if you are going to specialize? Have you made up your mind where you are going to go?

Haha, thanks brother. But don't forget that the MD admissions is a different group than the MD/PhD admissions committee, so you may be making a false statement. I hope we can work together one day. Do you know if you are going to specialize? Have you made up your mind where you are going to go?

Good point regarding the committees. I'd just as soon not give the MD committee any credit :p.

That would be great to coalesce in practice down the road; I can see it happening regardless of specialty interest. While primary care is definitely of interest, I'd like to explore fields such as ortho, rheumatology and others more. (Based on past experiences as a patient, I already feel ahead of the game in ortho).

KCUMB COM it is (KC, MO). I'm really jazzed about going there even though the tuition far outweighs the oh-so-sweet In-State Price Tag of UNM. Admittedly, I can't wait to learn manipulation along with everything else. Providing pain relief is of interest...

has anyone heard of people on the waitlist hearing their rank? I was told I would not know until May 18th, but I heard of someone finding out their number? I figure the info must be inaccurate?

Unless they have a guy on the inside (very unlikely) then I doubt anyone on the waitlist knows their rank.

Hey guys, in the admission packet it says we need to fill out a letter of intent. What the heck do I say? (any advice would be appreciated).

Should it be like.

Dear Dr. XXXXXX

Thank you for your acceptance. I will be attending your school this year.

KThXBAI.

Or do I really have to right a very well thought out nice one, so I don't look like an ungrateful bastard.

Haha, I had the exact same thought. I've been conditioned to write my life story and when asked to send in a letter that says "Hey, I like the school and I'm attending", I want to wax poetic about the school and where I see myself in 10 years.
I wound up writing a sentence and signing and dating it. That's all they're looking for.

I just wrote 2 or 3 sentences, thanking them and then stating that I would be attending starting July 27th...... I wasn't sure who to address the letter to.
Dear Dr. ?????

Hey guys, in the admission packet it says we need to fill out a letter of intent. What the heck do I say? (any advice would be appreciated).

Should it be like.

Dear Dr. XXXXXX

Thank you for your acceptance. I will be attending your school this year.

KThXBAI.

Or do I really have to right a very well thought out nice one, so I don't look like an ungrateful bastard.

Hey virus,
What in the world are you doing that you are online posting comments at 430 in the morning????
Are you a zombie?

Hey virus,
What in the world are you doing that you are online posting comments at 430 in the morning????
Are you a zombie?

First off, it was 6:30am (you have your forum time settings setup incorrectly) and I was getting ready for work and bored. Second of all, I live on the interwebs man, :D I am one of those lame wierdos that thinks forum chatting can be a substitute for real life socialization. In med school, you'll see, I'll be that dude that didn't show up to class because he was sleeping but calls you up at 3am all nervous wondering whats on the test. I'll explain everything when I see you, we got some catching up to do. On that note, I can't wait to see all of you guys.

First off, it was 6:30am (you have your forum time settings setup incorrectly) and I was getting ready for work and bored. Second of all, I live on the interwebs man, :D I am one of those lame wierdos that thinks forum chatting can be a substitute for real life socialization. In med school, you'll see, I'll be that dude that didn't show up to class because he was sleeping but calls you up at 3am all nervous wondering whats on the test. I'll explain everything when I see you, we got some catching up to do. On that note, I can't wait to see all of you guys.
Are you going to second look day?

I keep trying to tell you, Virus--bra fitter at Victoria's Secret. And let me know when you start working there so I can use your employee discount.

I keep trying to tell you, Virus--bra fitter at Victoria's Secret. And let me know when you start working there so I can use your employee discount.

LOI (laugh on the inside) :D

Out of pure curiousity, do they ever even hire dudes to work at the shops? I could honestly never imagine myself working for that company, but I was just curious.

I can't wait for this to all get started!

Last edited:
hmm...come to think of it, the only guy I know who worked at VS was flamboyantly gay. Not that there's anything WRONG with that...

As an aside...Good Lord, I do hate my job.

I'm planning on going to summer school, but I'm thinking of getting an MA certificate just so I can do clinical work. Either that, or go back to being a lab rat, which I hate. I need to be able to talk to people during the day. Doering, what are you doing for Plan B? (not the morning-after pill, silly!)

Hi all,

I happened upon your forum as a result of my search to learn more about student life at UNM... I'm from NM but have never lived in Albuquerque, only passed thru.

I just signed up to SDN so I could post here- I hope it works because I've never written in a forum before. It seems like a cool resource to get to know some of the other students!

I (thank God so much) was accepted to start this fall and am way excited. I'll be at second look next Sat. too.

And Jinx I don't know you but I'm rooting for you- I hope you get some good news soon!

Hi Better living,

Welcome to the boards, and I think you are gonna love the burque.

My question to everyone here, is what do you guys think about starting a brain trust (too much of a scrubs fan)? You guys should already know all the rules.

Hi Better living,

Welcome to the boards, and I think you are gonna love the burque.

My question to everyone here, is what do you guys think about starting a brain trust (too much of a scrubs fan)? You guys should already know all the rules.

I'm in.

Welcome, Better Living! Thanks for the love! I baked you a cake: enjoy!

mario-cake-1.jpg

Wow! I love the cake, jinx- that's awesome! What was the occasion?

Have to say, I'm very impressed!

Ha, ha, I didn't actually make that cake, I just thought it was cool. I did make a castle cake for my daughter's cake walk at school, though.

Ok, I'm back again looking for roommates, but this time I'm looking a LOT closer. If everything goes well today, I will have a house about a mile away from N Campus (near Constitution & Girard) It's a three bed/two bath/two car garage, but as of now 2 of the rooms and both garage spaces are taken, but there's lots of street parking available. Roommate must be comfortable living with males & females (will share a bathroom w/ a male) & no smoking or pets. Rent will be around $415/month + 1/3 utilities & move-in is june/july. Hope this interest someone :)

I'll be interested, my lease is up in August and I'll be back in Albuquerque after a bit of a vacation July 6th. Keep me posted. I'm clean and easy going and I would love to be so close to north campus.

Ok, I'm back again looking for roommates, but this time I'm looking a LOT closer. If everything goes well today, I will have a house about a mile away from N Campus (near Constitution & Girard) It's a three bed/two bath/two car garage, but as of now 2 of the rooms and both garage spaces are taken, but there's lots of street parking available. Roommate must be comfortable living with males & females (will share a bathroom w/ a male) & no smoking or pets. Rent will be around $415/month + 1/3 utilities & move-in is june/july. Hope this interest someone :)

For shame . . . Here I thought for a moment that you stopped by to say hi to us and check up on us and see whats going on, but in reality all you wanted was to use us. Always coming in here asking for things . . . it has to be give and take, not take take.

Anyway, I hope you know I am an idiot and was just joking. I was just trying to say that we missed you here.

For shame . . . Here I thought for a moment that you stopped by to say hi to us and check up on us and see whats going on, but in reality all you wanted was to use us. Always coming in here asking for things . . . it has to be give and take, not take take.

Anyway, I hope you know I am an idiot and was just joking. I was just trying to say that we missed you here.

Haha, no I had the best intentions! Plus I've gotta meet some of you great people before school starts, since I can't make it to the second look day. And lets face it, it's gonna be a good house with 3 med students (although study parties just aren't the same as keggers...).

Haha, no I had the best intentions! Plus I've gotta meet some of you great people before school starts, since I can't make it to the second look day. And lets face it, it's gonna be a good house with 3 med students (although study parties just aren't the same as keggers...).

I may be dating myself, but the last party I went to was a Tupperware party. Hopefully, I'll be joining you guys at the study party. I'll be the one who brings the homemade cinnamon rolls. And a fifth of Cuervo.

Cool day today wasn't it gang? I am so pumped on UNM, they did a great job presenting themselves. Talk about getting the most from your money! Someone would be crazy to turn down UNM SOM. With the new hospital, amazing staff and great facilities, I'm in love, haha.

Virus, good to meet ya buddy!

did they explain to you guys what was going on with the wait list at all?

They might have explained the waitlist to the parents/guests but they split us up for a bit. Really, if you think about it, why would they explain the waitlist to a group of downright accepted people. But I didn't hear anyone ask about it, so sorry, I wish I could give you guys some news.