This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontworry

Dont Worry, Be Happy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone i'm Andrea, I just joined the SDNetwork. I'm currently taking pre pharmacy courses and then im going to start the accelerated program this summer at Albany College of Pharmacy. Im really looking foward to starting school this may. I currently have a bachelor in arts in psychology and decided that psy just wasnt for me, so i got moving and started taking the needed science courses. This forum looks like it will provide alot of information and i look foward to participating. I also wanted to point out that there is a livejournal community, pharmacystudent as well. I see there are a few people from there here. Thats about it for now :)

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome!!!! I found this website extremely helpful in all dimensions of the admission process and pharmacy, in general.

Good luck and I will try those other websites!

Welcome welcome!
I think that's so great- I want to go to Albany too! You've been accepted already? You have to tell me everything- where are you taking your pre-reqs? How long did it take you to get your acceptance? Did you find it very competitive? Did you talk with anyone particular there that was helpful? I want to go into the accelerated program but won't be ready until 2006. I'm a BS in Bus Admin and want to change too and now I'm taking the prereq science classes.
I'm babbling on way too much. I'm just so excited to talk to someone that's going to go Albany. Lots of people on the board are from the West coast, so it'll be nice to have another person in the N.E. :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
It did seem alot of people were on the westcoast, but im sure theres some northeasters here. I actually applied in april for the regular admission into the normal program, because i had missed the deadline for the accelerated. And they said you are accepted for the fall, but you should consider the accelerated. So i thought about it and figured it would be faster and cheaper. I already had the social sciences and electives, but needed the science courses. So i took bio 1, chem 1 at SUNYAlbany and over the summer took pre calc, chem 2, bio 2 at Hudson Valley Community College. In the fall at HVCC i took organic 1, physics 1 - algebra based, dont need the calc one, and calc 1. And now in the spring im taking org 2, microbio and physics 2. I like my teachers and classmates at HVCC and there a few students there that are going to go to ACP so its nice. THe deadlines for acceptance notification and things should be on the pharmcas webpage, there is early decision and regular. I did have to apply again though using pharmcas early decision. I dont remember how long it took for acceptance though. I talked with Robert Gould, i believe he is the director of admissions and Michael Green. There were helpful and answered any questions i had. Though it does cost alot for the accelerated program, more than the regular tuition and i dont think they give alot of fin aid to transfer students either.What school do you go to now? hmm competetive, i dont think it is, i think the attitude is once we graduate weve got our pharm d and thats what matters, not the rank. But im sure in a few months ill have more info :)

You're helping me so much! I'm wondering if:

-I already had pre-calc, got a C- but I thought I would need take regular CALC I - but they told you precalc would be fine?
-Physics 1-2- I saw in my college catalog that they had an algebra based class and a Calculus based class, I planned on taking the calc-based because I assumed they would want that. And the school said the algebra based is fine?
-I'm taking my science classes at a community college because I already have those other electives and baloney they want you to have. So they didn't look down on you because you took some classes at a comm college?
- Oh and by competitive, I meant to say: do they have few spots open and many people applying to the school so they're very selective when choosing a person? Like they only want very high GPA's, etc...
-Again, I'm sorry to bombard you, but I was hoping I would find someone going to Albany. I want the accelerated-it's worth it for me to be done a year early. :)

1 more thing- did you have an interview with them?

Questions are fine, they require only calc 1, maybe i phrased it wrong before. They will accept algebra based physics, but you could take the calculus based if you want, since other schools require the calc based physics. They suggested taking the courses at the comm college since its cheaper, so i dont think they look down upon it, and after going to sunyalbany, i think hvcc science courses are better, less students and smaller classes. I dont really know about the selectivity of acceptance. From the people i know going, they had a good average, probably 3.2 minimum. The school isnt that large so they prob dont have that many spots, i think somewhere around 120 students for the accelerated this summer. But i think they are looking to expand the size of the accelerated program. I would apply early decision, have all the materials in as soon as possible. Have you thought about the possibility of summer courses to help get the work done sooner? And no, i didnt have an interview, but i dont know if others did. I also called them quite a few times with questions. I would suggest you call them as well, and verify this information with admissions. I know its what they told me, but its best to make sure this is what they say, and make sure they take courses from your comm college. Im sure they can answer all your questions, and its probably best to get a written description of the courses needed so that you have a document stating you were required to take these courses. You can also apply before all your courses are completed. Then you are admitted conditionally on your course completion. Also once accepted, you only need to have c's in your courses that are going to transfer, so it could take some pressure off. But make sure to contact them.

Originally posted by kim31kim
Welcome to SDN, I'm a newbie too! This place has been really helpful, I only wish I had found it sooner!

Do you have a link to this live journal you mentioned? I haven't heard of it before but am always looking for places to learn more about pharmacy school.

Thanks!

Its www.livejournal.com, its like a blog. You can post entries and they can be visible to your friends or private. There are alot of communities on it, people with similiar interests. Its very similiar to this. Creating an account is free and quick. Livejournal is a great way to talk with friends as well. Heres a link to the pharmacy student community, http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=pharmacystudent , just click on the name pharmacystudent to go to the journal. Im thestoryofa btw.

Thanks DW- that really helps me out. How did you find the algebra based physics? I wonder how different calc-based physics is? Harder?
I emailed and spoke with Michael Green once, and he told me that as long as the school is accredited, the credits can transfer over. I'll be applying for early admission next summer when I'm right in the midst of taking Physics 1 or 2. I'm taking summer classes, I work F/T, so I have to be careful with scheduling to be sure I don't try to schedule Ochem 1 and Phsyics 1 together :eek:
I'm studying very hard and am determined to get all A's in all of these prereq classes. But I'll check in with him again and try to schedule a tour of the school very soon.

Originally posted by dontworry
I'm currently taking pre pharmacy courses and then im going to start the accelerated program this summer at Albany College of Pharmacy. Im really looking foward to starting school this may.

Hi Andrea,
Just a word of warning about Albany. I was accepted to the accelerated program last year. They gave me a deadline to send in my deposit, but they also had a disclaimer at the bottom of the letter stating that spots may fill up and that you may not get in if you wait too long (or something like that). Needless to say, I didn't read that portion (it was in small print), and lost my slot (before the deadline was up).
So...if you plan to go and haven't sent in your deposit - send it in. It does sound like you have, though. Congratulations.
-jason

Originally posted by jason UCSD2000
Hi Andrea,
Just a word of warning about Albany. I was accepted to the accelerated program last year. They gave me a deadline to send in my deposit, but they also had a disclaimer at the bottom of the letter stating that spots may fill up and that you may not get in if you wait too long (or something like that). Needless to say, I didn't read that portion (it was in small print), and lost my slot (before the deadline was up).
So...if you plan to go and haven't sent in your deposit - send it in. It does sound like you have, though. Congratulations.
-jason

wow, thats pretty low.. I sent in my payment a week after acceptance.. thanks for the advice though.
Andrea

Welcome to our forum . I am also very glad to join this network since Jan.:clap: