New med student interested in Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miyakebee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As a new medical student, I think dermatology is something that I could really enjoy, but obviously I havn't had any practical experience with it yet. Would it be appropriate to contact dermatologists in my area asking them to allow me to shaddow?
If I continue to be interested in this field, what kinds of things can one do during med school in order to be competitive when matching time comes around?

Many thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

As a new medical student, I think dermatology is something that I could really enjoy, but obviously I havn't had any practical experience with it yet. Would it be appropriate to contact dermatologists in my area asking them to allow me to shaddow?
If I continue to be interested in this field, what kinds of things can one do during med school in order to be competitive when matching time comes around?

Many thanks for your help.

1. You might wanna contact a derm at your school and shadw them, that way get experience with derm and build contacts at your school.

2. Study your arse off, get the best grades/boards possible, continue to build connections in derm, do research, and try not to be that annoying student that rubs residents and faculty the wrong way. Hope that helps.

Thank-you.

I assume that shaddowing, research and making contacts are all the more important if one's school, like mine, uses a pass/fail grading system.(?)

:)