New Materials for Studying? 2022 Incoming MS1s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemistryisFON

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am an incoming MS1 this year in medical school. I wanted to start a thread for compiling some well-known resources and some of the lesser known ones to get over the summer prior to medical school starting so I am not scrambling last minute 😅

I have found a few that are interesting that might be outside the "normal" rotation of what I have seen. I listed a few of them below, but please any other ones that you think of please comment and I will add them to this!

Disclaimer: I am not being paid by any of these companies. These are just the names that are brought up by medical students I have networked with at over 10 medical schools, and I felt like sharing them with everyone 😁

Free Resources
  • AnKing--> Pretty popular Anki deck that is used by a lot of medical students I have talked to.
  • DiagnosUs--> I haven't seen this one talked about at all, but I found it while scrolling through Tik Tok. It's a mobile app that basically pays you to learn because they are building algorithms with the data. They have a lot of x-ray cases. EEGs, EKGs, and ultrasounds from real patients, which I haven't seen too much on other resources.
  • Derm Atlas/Fitzpatrick App--> This one is obviously very topic-specific, but I really like these two resources because it gives you dermatology conditions not only from Caucasian patients but from across all different types of skin tones.
  • OnlineMedEd--> They have a TON of videos for free. A slight caveat on the word "free." They sell notes, but it seems like their videos are free.
Paid Resources
  • Sketchy--> Pretty common one that is used, but I am really excited to see what they do since they recently got a Series A and a lot more money to fund their projects.
  • Osmosis--> Lots of videos and cool resources. I checked out the free trial and I am definitely interested in purchasing the full version as I get closer to medical school/Step exams.
  • UEarth--> I don't think I even need to explain this one, right?
  • Lecturio--> I haven't looked too much into this one as much as I should have, but I am definitely interested in their broad amount of content. I am curious. Has anyone used them? What's the best video resource for medical school? I feel like it might be overload to have Osmosis/Lecturio as well as your lectures (I am more of a book/Anki learner, but I feel like I will need to adapt to video formats for medical school).

If anyone has any more resources please comment below and I will edit the original post to include them!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
UFAPS - uworld, first aid, pathoma, sketchy. IMO, the essential ones are Boards and Beyond (for big picture of embryo, anatomy, phys, and path), Pathoma (gold standard for pathology), sketchy (micro, pharm) and USMLE Rx (online-equivalent of FA for rounding out nitty gritty details, great quick explainer videos, great 'learning' q-bank) - each paired with respective AnKing cards. Schools sometimes provide some of these for you for free, so don't go buying them all summer before. Plus, you'll get class reps with discount codes, too.
Please, for the love of god, don't buy lecturio - it is complete garbage.

Reactions: 2 users
B&B, UFAPS, AnKing, and USMLERx has been sufficient for me. I caution you against inadvertently resource overloading yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
So save Uworld for dedicated time? Then supplement with a different qbank like USMLE Rx for classes? This is also your FA review, right?

So save Uworld for dedicated time? Then supplement with a different qbank like USMLE Rx for classes? This is also your FA review, right?
Rx is FirstAid in QBank form. It worked fine for my in house exams over M1/2.

Rx is FirstAid in QBank form. It worked fine for my in house exams over M1/2.
So essentially do not bother reading through FA instead you get the same learning experience by doing the qbank to follow your classes?

So essentially do not bother reading through FA instead you get the same learning experience by doing the qbank to follow your classes?
Do get some introduction to the material (B&B, Pathoma, and Sketchy is great for this). Do not randomly open up FA and read it passively. Do use FA as reference material to help you figure out why you got questions wrong.

Hello everyone!

I am an incoming MS1 this year in medical school. I wanted to start a thread for compiling some well-known resources and some of the lesser known ones to get over the summer prior to medical school starting so I am not scrambling last minute 😅

I have found a few that are interesting that might be outside the "normal" rotation of what I have seen. I listed a few of them below, but please any other ones that you think of please comment and I will add them to this!

Disclaimer: I am not being paid by any of these companies. These are just the names that are brought up by medical students I have networked with at over 10 medical schools, and I felt like sharing them with everyone 😁

Free Resources
  • AnKing--> Pretty popular Anki deck that is used by a lot of medical students I have talked to.
  • DiagnosUs--> I haven't seen this one talked about at all, but I found it while scrolling through Tik Tok. It's a mobile app that basically pays you to learn because they are building algorithms with the data. They have a lot of x-ray cases. EEGs, EKGs, and ultrasounds from real patients, which I haven't seen too much on other resources.
  • Derm Atlas/Fitzpatrick App--> This one is obviously very topic-specific, but I really like these two resources because it gives you dermatology conditions not only from Caucasian patients but from across all different types of skin tones.
  • OnlineMedEd--> They have a TON of videos for free. A slight caveat on the word "free." They sell notes, but it seems like their videos are free.
Paid Resources
  • Sketchy--> Pretty common one that is used, but I am really excited to see what they do since they recently got a Series A and a lot more money to fund their projects.
  • Osmosis--> Lots of videos and cool resources. I checked out the free trial and I am definitely interested in purchasing the full version as I get closer to medical school/Step exams.
  • UEarth--> I don't think I even need to explain this one, right?
  • Lecturio--> I haven't looked too much into this one as much as I should have, but I am definitely interested in their broad amount of content. I am curious. Has anyone used them? What's the best video resource for medical school? I feel like it might be overload to have Osmosis/Lecturio as well as your lectures (I am more of a book/Anki learner, but I feel like I will need to adapt to video formats for medical school).

If anyone has any more resources please comment below and I will edit the original post to include them!

Slight caveat on the OnlineMedEd - A lot of the clinical algorithms are outdated. The videos are still good/fine, but expect some of the specifics to have changed since. You can find updated info on things like UpToDate/Epocrates/Amboss/etc.

As others have said, don't overload on too many resources. Outside of class lectures I used just Pathoma and Sketchy Micro/Pharm and I was getting 95%+ on house exams, and was getting "99% chance of passing Step 1" on a FL NBME day 1 of dedicated. So just remember, you don't NEED every resource you just need to find which resource works for you.

I'll give a shout out to B&B which is great especially if your school lectures suck

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First Aid should be used for things that make you go "I understand this conceptually, I know what this, but I forgot a specific detail about it"

I personally found it worth skimming the night before a class exam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how I can get Anking? V11 with media the Reddit link isn’t working