New Job, confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pembrolizumab

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year Hem/Onc fellow at a 2nd tier academic center. Really interested in hem/BMT, but geographically restricted for family reasons. I am unable to find a hem/BMT job in the place of my choosing, but will likely get a solid tumor job.

1) Is it possible to switch after 2-3 years from solids back to hem/BMT?
2) Is a BMT fellowship required? My program has a pretty good TCT program and my third year is BMT heavy. I kind of feel comfortable with most allos and CAR-Ts, but then you don't know what you don't know.
3) What do I need to do to get FACT accredited? I know centers get FACT accredited, but is there a thing for physicians too?

Members don't see this ad.

3rd year Hem/Onc fellow at a 2nd tier academic center. Really interested in hem/BMT, but geographically restricted for family reasons. I am unable to find a hem/BMT job in the place of my choosing, but will likely get a solid tumor job.

1) Is it possible to switch after 2-3 years from solids back to hem/BMT?
Yes. It happens. There are several docs in my university's Heme Mal group that previously worked gen onc jobs. You'd be best off getting a community-based job so you can still do some heme mal. Don't take an academic breast cancer job in the hopes you can parlay it into a BMT job later. That's not happening.

2) Is a BMT fellowship required? My program has a pretty good TCT program and my third year is BMT heavy. I kind of feel comfortable with most allos and CAR-Ts, but then you don't know what you don't know.
Totally job dependent. Becoming more common but still variable.

3) What do I need to do to get FACT accredited? I know centers get FACT accredited, but is there a thing for physicians too?
FACT is for programs/centers, not people.

Reactions: 1 user