new Indian MPH aspirant requiring urgent clarification!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palaniappan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,
I am doing my house surgeocy here in Tamilnadu,India.I am completing my MBBS degree here in April-2006.I have finished GRE nad TOEFL and secures 1350(Verbal-610,Quants-740) and 287 respectively.My gpa is 2.70.I have applied to the following universitied for the fall semester 2006 for the Epidemiology program in MPH.
1.Univ of Illinois at chicago
2.Univ of alabama at birmingham
3.Univ. of southern california
4.Univ. of nort texas at forts worth
5.Univ. of texas at houston
6.Univ. of Massachusetts at amherst.
I am desperate to know my chances of getting admission in these universities.Is there anyone to help me please??????

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Because you will have medical experience, would bring an international perspective, and also have very good test scores, the schools may be willing to put less emphasis on your GPA. This will be particularly true if you have clearly articulated your interest in pursuing the MPH in general and your specific interest in each of the programs to which you have applied. The chances seem good that you would get into at least one of these programs. Beyond this rough impression, I can't (and don't know that anyone here can) give you more specific information about any of the schools. Most schools will begin mailing admissions decisions within the next month or so, and if you have important visa-related questions, an international students' office might be able to give you guidance about whether it is prudent to apply now. Good luck!

Hi,
Can I ring up the admissions office of each department in the different colleges to check up my appication status??and also please clarify me regaerding my query about financial aid?Should I start applying for financial aid now onwards??Plese help me out.

Palaniappan said:
Can I ring up the admissions office of each department in the different colleges to check up my appication status??
You can do that, but first check online,using your tracking number or some such. Should save you time and money..
and also please clarify me regaerding my query about financial aid?Should I start applying for financial aid now onwards??Plese help me out.
Not to sound discouraging, but i doubt any of the programs you have mentioned will offer you a TA/RA off the bat. The best that can happen is that you contact some professors in the branch/dept you are applying and impress upon them your willingness and eagerness to work. They might offer you an interview at best. Usually, the order of preference for handing out Aid is PhDs > 2nd years > 1st year Local grads > 1st year International grads. This, however, only rules out TA / RAs. You can apply for other on-campus jobs as stipulated by your F1 visa. All I am saying is that out of the schools you mentioned, i wouldn't bank on them handing you Aid without seeing you and assessing your work first. But do hunt around, as my info could be waaay off base..
Hope this Helps!
Good Luck! :luck: