New ICD-10 Code for Vertebrogenic Low Back Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
In recognition of the stratospheric rates of Modic-related back pain ravaging our country, this couldn't come at a better time...

“The CDC’s recognition of vertebrogenic pain as a specific low back pain condition follows decades of research characterizing the role of the basivertebral nerve in transmitting pain signals from damaged vertebral endplates.” “For the first time, clinicians have a unique code to diagnose and report this condition accurately, helping connect the millions of patients suffering from vertebrogenic pain with effective, long-lasting relief following the Intracept Procedure.”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
And just like SI and geniculate rf….. the insurers now have a distinct code to deny as experimental….

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The commercials already say that they do not specifically cover basivertebral nerve ablation in guidelines, now there is a code to go with it.
So what insurances are covering this so far?

I see a patient every so often that may benefit from it, and would refer them out, but not if no insurances cover it.

So what insurances are covering this so far?

I see a patient every so often that may benefit from it, and would refer them out, but not if no insurances cover it.
You should talk to your local rep. Mine has given me a detailed report on this stuff

You should talk to your local rep. Mine has given me a detailed report on this stuff
Can you give me a general idea of which major insurances cover this as in blue cross vs Cigna vs UHC vs Aetna?

I don’t plan to personally offer the procedure but if for example, blue cross doesn’t cover it, I won’t bother referring patients under that insurance.

I've done all the above but they are case by case basis, typically low probability, long wait, 2-3 appeals (assisted by company)

Yes. Keep in mind also that most ASCs can't make it profitable, best done HOPD
Until that changes…. It will go the way of cooled rf…. HOPD only greatly limits utilization. For now, regardless of efficacy per the studies, the juice ain’t worth the squeeze for going through the hassle on this. Just like intradiscal regenerative, I may refer 1 to 5 of these out per year.

Until that changes…. It will go the way of cooled rf…. HOPD only greatly limits utilization. For now, regardless of efficacy per the studies, the juice ain’t worth the squeeze for going through the hassle on this. Just like intradiscal regenerative, I may refer 1 to 5 of these out per year.

In the HOPD the Juice from the Squeeze comes from the vig on the SOS...

In the HOPD the Juice from the Squeeze comes from the vig on the SOS...
Yes, I understood, I meant with regards to the pita of getting approval and reimburse adequately to cover costs outside hopd. I also don’t think Medicare patients are the prime contributor to your epidemic of vertebrogenic lbp

My partner does this and I'm looking at training for it. Approvals (handled by the company) take 2-6 months...

Yes, I understood, I meant with regards to the pita of getting approval and reimburse adequately to cover costs outside hopd. I also don’t think Medicare patients are the prime contributor to your epidemic of vertebrogenic lbp
Agree with Medicare point. This is much more likely to help someone in their 40s-50s than a Medicare patient.

Not sure if I’m going to bother referring these out if it’s rarely paid/ 3-6 month auth delay for patient.