New here, 3.2 cGPA 3.4 sGPA 34Q.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quest1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say you have about a 50% chance of admission, your mcat is quite good which makes up for your gpa and will get you into the interview phase

I would like to know what you guys think of my chances. I have a 3.2 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, and 34Q MCAT. I had a curriculum change early in my college career from engineering to pre-med (hint: I didn't do too well as an engineer). Made consistent A's and B's in science courses up until senior year when I had some health problems resulting from kidney infections, and got a couple C's and an F in quantitative chem. I took a year off, and finished with 2 A's one of which was a chem retake. I have lots of volunteer experience in PT and pediatric clinics. I worked at a bio-tech firm for a summer, and now work as a lab assistant in a research lab. I have a hard time thinking I could get in anywhere with my current GPA and an F-bomb on my transcript. I thought about an SMP but I could never decide if it was worth it. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
I think you'd be in good shape for an acceptance to a DO med school as you are, considering they only count the most recent grade if you retake. But for a significant shot at MD, considering the importance of an upward grade trend after an F-bomb, I think you'll need to do more GPA redemption, either with an SMP or an informal postbac consisting of upper-level Bio and Biochem in which you get a 3.7+ GPA. It would also help if one of your letter writers is aware of your health issues and their impact on your grades and can attest to them.

Considering the likelihood that you have documentation, have you tried to get a retroactive withdrawal from that class. Sometimes this happens.

Do you have a lenient state MD school?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No chance at all at MD schools, but fine for any DO school.

I would like to know what you guys think of my chances. I have a 3.2 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, and 34Q MCAT. I had a curriculum change early in my college career from engineering to pre-med (hint: I didn't do too well as an engineer). Made consistent A's and B's in science courses up until senior year when I had some health problems resulting from kidney infections, and got a couple C's and an F in quantitative chem. I took a year off, and finished with 2 A's one of which was a chem retake. I have lots of volunteer experience in PT and pediatric clinics. I worked at a bio-tech firm for a summer, and now work as a lab assistant in a research lab. I have a hard time thinking I could get in anywhere with my current GPA and an F-bomb on my transcript. I thought about an SMP but I could never decide if it was worth it. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Edit: I'm in North Carolina. I don't know if this is will affect responses or not. Thanks for replies though.

Apply broadly. Are you a NC resident? I mean, you'll most likely get a UNC interview if you're interesting. Most NC residents who have been through an admissions cycle would agree with me. Should you apply DO too? Yes, if you essentially want guaranteed admissions for the cycle. But anyone saying you have absolutely no shot at MD is being extreme.

Apply broadly. Are you a NC resident? I mean, you'll most likely get a UNC interview if you're interesting. Most NC residents who have been through an admissions cycle would agree with me. Should you apply DO too? Yes, if you essentially want guaranteed admissions for the cycle. But anyone saying you have absolutely no shot at MD is being extreme.

I agree, it's worth at least applying to state schools.

Personally I think MCAT has more weight on an application then people realize. GPA only means so much and can be overcome with other factors. GPA isnt exactly beyond repair either. Saying he has no shot is ludicrous due to the fact there are people that get in with a 3.2 gpa.

Not to mention according to SDN data you are right around 50% chance.

Thanks for the feedback. I was not able to get a retroactive withdrawal of the semester, so I'm stuck with my undergrad grades. I'm an NC resident, I plan on applying to ECU and UNC. I know I probably won't get in on my first cycle, do you think an SMP type program could make up for my low GPA? My attitude is that I'm only 24, I don't mind working hard in order to make up for my less than stellar GPA. I haven't met a DO school that really appealed to me. ECU really jumped out at me when I visited it, so extra work to go somewhere I really like seems logical.

First of all, I do not go to ECU/did not apply there- so I can only comment on what I have personally observed. ECU will holistically consider an applicant with far lower MCAT than you and comparable GPA. However: ECU does not have a large class and they really seem to be after people that closely match their mission of serving (Eastern) NC through family med etc. So if you are passionate about the same things they are then you have a chance. If you are not, a 3.9 and 35 doesn't seem to matter. Also from direct observation: UNC and ECU have great summer medicine programs that act like an audition, give you great exposure to faculty and admissions, and seem to send top performers to each respective institution.

Last edited:
I'm an NC resident, I plan on applying to ECU and UNC. I know I probably won't get in on my first cycle, do you think an SMP type program could make up for my low GPA? My attitude is that I'm only 24, I don't mind working hard in order to make up for my less than stellar GPA.
Yes, so long as your academics are excellent in the program.

I'd also be sure to get in some physician shadowing tht includes time in rural Carolina areas.