New Graduates in Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Ditka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a work around to the Alabama rule about supervision? The rule states that a physician, "Hold a current, unrestricted license to practice medicine in Alabama. On the date of application, has practiced medicine* for at least three years/one year if board certified or if practice site is limited to a hospital." How do new graduates go to sites that are single coverage physician with NPs and PAs?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could it be that residency years count? I’d say that one is “practicing medicine” while in residency.

It seems like the law might be designed to prevent a brand new medical school grad from hanging a shingle.

Idk. I've worked here 3 years now. Went straight in as a resident. I've never even seen this. I was solo coverage my first week signing NP charts. Is this in regards to signing MLP charts?

Does anyone know a work around to the Alabama rule about supervision? The rule states that a physician, "Hold a current, unrestricted license to practice medicine in Alabama. On the date of application, has practiced medicine* for at least three years/one year if board certified or if practice site is limited to a hospital." How do new graduates go to sites that are single coverage physician with NPs and PAs?
Wouldn’t residency count as practicing medicine for X years?

Well if you are in a single coverage ED with midlevels, it seems you quoted the answer. You would be exempt if “practice is limited to a hospital”.