New foundation courses in the U.K

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnny_blaze

And my name is hawkeye
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m just curious to know what u guys think of the new postgraduate foundation (F1 and F2) programs? Do u think they're better than the old PRHO-SHO-Reg scheme?

I think it’s better that we get to go to specialty training much quicker but has anyone actually considered how competitive it will be? I mean there’s already a major bottle neck between SHO and registrar. Imagine what it will be like when all the F2 grads have to compete with senior SHO’s for reg jobs!

I recently read in BMJ news that there has been a surplus of medical students being admitted into medschool in the U.K (approx. 500 OVER the limit of 5000!). This is gonna make competition even worse! I was planning on doing some work in the US or Australia after I finish medschool but I don’t wanna come back and have to compete with older SHOs and the new wave of graduates. :eek:

I guess the government is gonna seriously restrict the amount of FMGs entering the U.K to help decrease the competition.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Members don't see this ad.