new EPIC upgrade absolutely sucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like what were they thinking?? The verification screen is absolutely horrible. I have strugled to find one redeeming benefit to it and the only thing I have found is when changing products for a therpeutic sub - you don't have to first enter "medication" - you can just select everything available

others thoughts?,

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you talking about horrible "drop-down" verification screen? Our hospital had it for few months now... I hated it so much. Tbh it makes my eyes more tired going from top to bottom. It took me some time to get used to it too....

Are you talking about horrible "drop-down" verification screen? Our hospital had it for few months now... I hated it so much. Tbh it makes my eyes more tired going from top to bottom. It took me some time to get used to it too....
Yup. We just got it a couple of weeks ago. So damn busy. You can’t see the info easily you need. Like “last dose” for admission meds. And they just moved crap around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. We just got it a couple of weeks ago. So damn busy. You can’t see the info easily you need. Like “last dose” for admission meds. And they just moved crap around.
Wait until next update.. we now have some glitch where even if I hit "verify" orders, nothing happens so I have to get out of patient chart and go back into chart to verify again lol. I also hated the rearrangement of In-Basket message..

I have a feeling they do these stupid "updates" on purpose for job security. Just like the stupid CVS updates for their Rxconnect or whatever it is. Each new update creates new problems that require another update to fix. Rinse and repeat, keeps the programmers in business

Reactions: 6 users
Epic is forcing their new Hyperdrive web client with the November version as well.

The upgrades have been introducing so many bugs lately. I consider it a consequence of quarterly releases, general COVID related issues, and Epic being staffed mostly by 22 year old college grads. I wouldn't recommend being an early adopter of any new release these days since they are usually warning of problems before you even implement. Give them some time to iron out the kinks (also I know no one has any control over this so I'm sorry if your IT is ran by heartless bean counters).

Epic is known for sub-standard pay...people work for them when they need experience or don't have better offers.

The upgrades have been introducing so many bugs lately. I consider it a consequence of quarterly releases, general COVID related issues, and Epic being staffed mostly by 22 year old college grads.
this reminds me I was at the airport shortly after our go-live and a bunch of the EPIC team was on my flight - (I recognized several of them) and I overheard several of them saying they were still on their parents health insurance and had their credit cards for emergencies - they all looked like they just graduated college or where summer interns

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I just got it last week. Holy eff.
You mean like when they take it at home and it used to say “last dose administered on 11/19/2022” from the RN doing admission med rec?

I didn’t notice that yet.

It’s absolutely terrible. I’m afraid I’m missing so much.
you can see it - it is just not easily and obviosly seen

I have a feeling they do these stupid "updates" on purpose for job security. Just like the stupid CVS updates for their Rxconnect or whatever it is. Each new update creates new problems that require another update to fix. Rinse and repeat, keeps the programmers in business
Kind of surprised there isn‘t more resistance to (completely unnecessary) IT changes/updates contributing to med errors and time wasted (training, modules, etc.). You know all for the sake of job security and like totally necessary aesthetic updates (sarcasm)

Kind of surprised there isn‘t more resistance to (completely unnecessary) IT changes/updates contributing to med errors and time wasted (training, modules, etc.). You know all for the sake of job security and like totally necessary aesthetic updates (sarcasm)
I just wish Epic would work on long outstanding functionality requests instead of constant unwanted changes to the user interface. The redesigned order verification screen, the new look inbasket, etc. just confuses and upsets people. Meanwhile, Beacon advanced order groups still live in a tiny, hidden submenu and are difficult to read. They've been talking about improving that for years.

this reminds me I was at the airport shortly after our go-live and a bunch of the EPIC team was on my flight - (I recognized several of them) and I overheard several of them saying they were still on their parents health insurance and had their credit cards for emergencies - they all looked like they just graduated college or where summer interns

Haven't talked to her for a few years, but I used to know this pharmacist who worked for epic, she said how she wished she could moonlight at a hospital using epic, but wasn't allowed to......I always thought, I wish you could to, so you could see all the problems with it that need to be fixed!

The Epic team we dealt with all had this energy big time with the exception of one higher tier Live Laugh Love Karen demon

I just saw a preview of the new verification screen. I can't figure out what the point of the change is. It just looks like they changed it just for the heck of it.
because people are paid to make improvements - regardless of if any changes are needed. Imagine sitting at your desk making 6 figures and telling your boss "I got nothing to improve?"

except they actually don't improve the things that could use improvement.
Like - why don't we have the reason for admission listed anywhere on the front page???

Reactions: 1 users
Like - why don't we have the reason for admission listed anywhere on the front page???
That might be something your local Epic support team can implement. I say might because I don't know the quality of your team, the institutional standards (if any) of your health system, and cannot account for the myriad of possibilities that may occur once you spin the service ticket roulette wheel.

Keywords in bold: Ask them to update the storyboard for inpatient encounters (you may have a pharmacist specific storyboard, in which case this will go a lot smoother. If you have shared storyboards across the hospital you will probably get pushback and require approvals) to add admission status and reason for admission / problem list / primary problem (however your providers document this). If this is something that uses discrete data instead of a free text field, progress note or whatever, you should be able to add that to the storyboard panel on the left side of the patient chart. Maybe consider a burnt offering to whatever gods your people follow.

Reactions: 2 users
except they actually don't improve the things that could use improvement.

Job security. There will always be something obvious and super useful that will never get fixed, because IT will forever be working on it.

I'm not liking how you have to refresh the ADC location if you change the product. We used to be able to change the product and it would automatically change to dispense from the ADC if it was loaded there. Now we have to change the product and then manually click refresh to see if dispensing location changes from pharmacy to ADC. Annoying.