Position Available New EM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

done that

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Emergency Medicine residency is seeking eight (8) candidates for inaugural class expected to begin in mid-October 2019. We are NOT yet ACGME accredited, but are expecting to be so in mid-September. Located in the beautiful Roanoke Valley of Virginia we see almost 80,000 ED visits per year. Trauma, PICU rotations are housed at Chippenham Hospital in Richmond. Other current residencies include Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Psychiatry.
Qualifications:
  • Graduation from US medical school with in last 2 years with limited exceptions for significant research or military service
  • No prior ACGME experience
  • Passing scores on Step 1 and 2 of either USMLE or COMLEX
  • No need for program sponsored visa
  • Able to perform the duties expected in an emergency medicine residency training program
For further details please visit Emergency Medicine Residency
There is no guarantee of ACGME accreditation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you doctor fir sharing this important information here!!! good luck to everyone.

There’s already a program in Roanoke valley with Level 1 adult and peds trauma that is accredited.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but this is a new program that is giving the opportunity to people that could not match because it is off cycle.

Remember the new programs are better sometimes, for me, it is like a private school where your attendees try to teach you as much as they can. Hopefully, this program would be accredited.

But you are free to apply wherever you want.

Have a good day.

If non accredited you will never be board eligible and no normal hospital will hire you. HCA/Emcare, Teamhealth, USACS will take you no worries.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh good. A new non-accredited program preying on med students who weren't able to match in EM this cycle, hoping that they won't realize that if the program doesn't in fact become accredited, any graduates from the program will NOT be allowed to sit for the boards.

Aside from that, has anyone even visited the link above? I'm not sure how much faith I'd have in a program that apparently doesn't even bother to proofread their mission statement. Where there aren't grammatical or spelling errors, it just sounds like it was written by someone who has an incomplete grasp of the English language.

e.g.

"Our teaching faculty have a wide diversity of skill-sets, back grounds and interests that will expand your comfortably zone."

I really hope that my back grounds will help with my comfortably zone.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow!!! Instead, to help this new program and help It to be better with pieces of advice, you guys are destroying it.

I know there are a lot of cons (the big one board eligible), but maybe the answer in September is going to be positive.

That is pretty good that your programs are accredited, so help this new program to get it.

Good luck, guys!!

Rotations are four hours away in Richmond, no trauma and the other shop in town, Carilion, doesn’t have a single doc going to this new place? Sounds like a bunch of red flags to me. Had a buddy of mine go there, the Carilion program is a hidden gem. Even the docs that wanted to work at Carilion but couldn’t because they were so full didn’t go to Lewis Gale. Instead they chose other EDs in the area. That should tell you something.

Yes, but this is a new program that is giving the opportunity to people that could not match because it is off cycle.

Remember the new programs are better sometimes, for me, it is like a private school where your attendees try to teach you as much as they can. Hopefully, this program would be accredited.

Have a good day.
You did notice that they want grads from US med schools...
DO program that haven’t even gotten provisional accreditation from ACGME...:sendoff:

The mission statement reads like Borat wrote it but program explicitly says no IMGs lol what a joke

Reactions: 2 users
Wow!!! Instead, to help this new program and help It to be better with pieces of advice, you guys are destroying it.

I know there are a lot of cons (the big one board eligible), but maybe the answer in September is going to be positive.

That is pretty good that your programs are accredited, so help this new program to get it.

Good luck, guys!!

Yes because the only reasonable advice for this program or it’s applicants would be “DO NOT APPLY”

A non-accredited, corporate run residency program in a tiny city that already has a residency at the major hospital in the area. Think about that for a minute.

Have a good day.
Thanks for information, what is requirements