New Drugs available?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarEastGrapplr2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i dont get to watch much tv at the moment, but i have been seeing some new drug commercials. just saw

Cymbalta - balanced SSRI and NE reuptake inhibitor

i've noticed more commercials for incontinence as well, though the names of the drugs escape me at the moment

what are some of the other Newer drugs (possible "hot topics") i should read about?

much thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean things are posted to the exam faster than before? That doesn't make any sense. They weren't waiting for some new technology over the last 10 years to improve the rate or efficiency at which new test items are incorporated. The NBME waits a set amt of time before incorporating something to see if it catches on and becomes a realistic part of clinical practice (however obscure) as opposed to some total bust.

What do you mean things are posted to the exam faster than before? That doesn't make any sense. They weren't waiting for some new technology over the last 10 years to improve the rate or efficiency at which new test items are incorporated. The NBME waits a set amt of time before incorporating something to see if it catches on and becomes a realistic part of clinical practice (however obscure) as opposed to some total bust.

This is what I hear from a pretty reliable source:
A new drug comes out today. Within 1 or 2 months it can be on the exam as an experimental q. After another 9 or 10 months if the q is "test worth" it could be used as a regular test q.

This is what I hear from a pretty reliable source:
A new drug comes out today. Within 1 or 2 months it can be on the exam as an experimental q. After another 9 or 10 months if the q is "test worth" it could be used as a regular test q.

Well, I took the damn test, and there wasn't anything even remotely experimental, off label, or even last 3 years on the test.
And I tend to find myself pretty reliable. I can't imagine that a question would be test worthy in that short a time, considering that many drugs are specialty dependent. So for the people that took OB first, and then never saw an OB drug for the next 10-12 months, probably wouldn't see anything about it in their lifetimes.

And if you answer anything on Step 2 based on what you saw on television, you deserve the grade you get. That's all I'm saying.

Step 2 has so little pharm anyway the odds of it being 1. pharm 2. a new drug and 3. not an experimental question are...Zero. let it go. To do well on the board HIGH YIELD is the name of the game, killing yourself over this stupid **** means more work and a lower score to show for it. Congrats if you can do both.