New drug for MRSA endocarditis??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacology888

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Does anyone know the name of a new drug approved for MRSA endocarditis? I know MRSA endocarditis was added as an indication for Cubicin last year, but other than that, I can't find the name of the new drug that was approved for MRSA endocarditis.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all

Does anyone know the name of a new drug approved for MRSA endocarditis? I know MRSA endocarditis was added as an indication for Cubicin last year, but other than that, I can't find the name of the new drug that was approved for MRSA endocarditis.

thanks

nope. did you search the FDA webiste?

Did that new-fangled cephalosporin ceftobiprole ever get approved?

I know they were doing TRIALS against vanc for endo-c....don't know how it turned out....or if it was ever approved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all

thanks

Well, since you're looking for something new, Vanco is out. And you've got Dapto. Maybe you're thinking Zyvox or Synercid? Only others I can think of are ceftobiprole and dalbavancin/telavancin (similar to Vanco) in the future.

But you're looking for something with a specific approval for endocarditis?

I looked but didn't see it - does Zyvox have a FDA-approved indication for endocarditis?

I looked but didn't see it - does Zyvox have a FDA-approved indication for endocarditis?

No. I am having a hard time grasping this thread; this is not terribly difficult information to obtain.

I just know when we did our endocarditis lecture in therapeutics for MRSA we didn't really discuss anything other than vanco, dapto, and rifampin if there's an artificial valve in place.

so I'm unsure as to what drug the OP was referring to.

I just know when we did our endocarditis lecture in therapeutics for MRSA we didn't really discuss anything other than vanco, dapto, and rifampin if there's an artificial valve in place.

so I'm unsure as to what drug the OP was referring to.

Yeah, for staph...if it was NVE, I've seen a PCN-type +/- gentamicin. Or cefazolin and gent. If it was prosthetic...rifampin too. Vanco for MRSA. I know you can have issues treating with Zyvox though.