New Device for Bacteria Identification behind the TM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmc271

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is AWESOME! New product in development from U of Illinois in conjunction with Welch-Allyn. If it works as well as this articles hints at, it will be incredible.

News Release

Members don't see this ad.

Good find, very cool stuff.

Next, the researchers plan to investigate different ear pathology, particularly comparing acute and chronic infections, and will examine the relationship between biofilms and hearing loss. They hope that improved diagnostics will lead to better treatment and referral practices.

Some background:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060712075834.htm

"Nearly all of the children in our study who suffered from chronic otitis media tested positive for biofilms in the middle ear, even those who were asymptomatic.

It appears that in many cases recurrent disease stems not from re-infection as was previously thought and which forms the basis for conventional treatment, but from a persistent biofilm," Ehrlich said.

If anyone from Welch-Allyn is reading, I would be more than happy to beta test the device in the coming year. :D

If anyone from Welch-Allyn is reading, I would be more than happy to beta test the device in the coming year. :D

I second that.

Good find indeed. Dusty thx for the background story.