New COMLEX 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined2beadoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone take the new format COMLEX 3 that started on September 10, 2018? Any thoughts, comments, experiences? How was it taking the test over two days?
Are the COMBANk questions still relevant? What subject was heavily tested? How many total questions? Any tips, thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoever says they got their score is a liar. I just called nbome, no scores have been released and they will be released all at the same time:)

Reactions: 1 user
Passed! Thank god. Finished with the awful Comlex exams forever.

Reactions: 1 users

Attachments

• ED5B9B0A-78A5-4C38-8956-FC8717C329AE.jpeg
    ED5B9B0A-78A5-4C38-8956-FC8717C329AE.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 250
Just putting a more recent update on it.
Took it in late March and April 1st. Got the results on May 22 around noon. FYI takes around 6-7 weeks for the score to release. (Annoying as f)

Whoever I talked to in my class told me they had 25-30% OMM questions. I spent a lot of time on it. I had like 20 questions out of the both days total. Mine was IM heavy (and thankfully I killed the IM, Psych, and surgery sections and did below average on the other domains) . CDM cases are kind of straight forward. Try to be as detailed as possible. ex, don't type hyperthyroidism, say what type like graves disease. ... It's typical COMLEX bs, stuff I have not seen or heard about anywhere but don't get scared I don't think anyone knows the answers. Walked out thinking I failed and told my GF I need to start putting money away for the retake. Scored well above the first 2 levels. :) Keep in mind the pass is 350.
I started doing 50 questions for about 5 months out everyday. Spent around an hour a day and didn't put to much into it just did the questions to do them... Finished Combank twice and I think it was an overkill and a good representation of the COMLEX. (Only did that cause I retook Level 1 and was a bit anxious). Combank and nothing else literally.

A happy Psych resident

Go on and conquer.

Goobye COMLEX, goodbye NBOME

Just putting a more recent update on it.
Took it in late March and April 1st. Got the results on May 22 around noon. FYI takes around 6-7 weeks for the score to release. (Annoying as f)

Whoever I talked to in my class told me they had 25-30% OMM questions. I spent a lot of time on it. I had like 20 questions out of the both days total. Mine was IM heavy (and thankfully I killed the IM, Psych, and surgery sections and did below average on the other domains) . CDM cases are kind of straight forward. Try to be as detailed as possible. ex, don't type hyperthyroidism, say what type like graves disease. ... It's typical COMLEX bs, stuff I have not seen or heard about anywhere but don't get scared I don't think anyone knows the answers. Walked out thinking I failed and told my GF I need to start putting money away for the retake. Scored well above the first 2 levels. :) Keep in mind the pass is 350.
I started doing 50 questions for about 5 months out everyday. Spent around an hour a day and didn't put to much into it just did the questions to do them... Finished Combank twice and I think it was an overkill and a good representation of the COMLEX. (Only did that cause I retook Level 1 and was a bit anxious). Combank and nothing else literally.

A happy Psych resident

Go on and conquer.

Goobye COMLEX, goodbye NBOME

And the reality is: if you can’t pass level 3 with at least a 350 you either a) totally don’t give af and hate NBOME with such a fiery passion that it creates a mental hurdle that you’re unable to surmount despite having the medical knowledge necessary to pass or b) shouldn’t be practicing medicine

• Haha
I take this thing on Wednesday- I only did combank scoring around 68-69% average....anyone willing to share their combank %correct and final score to give me some peace of mind before this god forsaken test? >.<

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished the second day. Used COMQUEST, OME, and MTB. Felt like it was overkill, particularly for the CDM cases. COMQUEST alone would have been plenty, particularly for CDM.

I used COMQUEST for all three Levels. I recommend it without hesitation.

Last edited:
Finished the second day today. Used ComQuest exclusively. CDM cases were easier than those in Comquest, but who ever knows on these tests?? Thought the MC where much more difficult. Educated guessing on many...probably wrong. Walked out feeling like I have just failed an actual COMLEX exam. S.O.S. Well, guess I have to wait for 6 weeks in agony.

Passed. 500+ :1poop:

2 months of studying. Comquest only. Would do the questions and casually read the answers (tutor mode). Started at like 20 questions a day and bumped it up to 40 as the test drew closer. Took days off and definitely enjoyed myself every once in a while. Maybe somewhere of like 1-2 hours a studying a day on average. Hope this helps someone. If I can do it, you sure can.

Passed. 500+ :1poop:

2 months of studying. Comquest only. Would do the questions and casually read the answers (tutor mode). Started at like 20 questions a day and bumped it up to 40 as the test drew closer. Took days off and definitely enjoyed myself every once in a while. Maybe somewhere of like 1-2 hours a studying a day on average. Hope this helps someone. If I can do it, you sure can.
Congratulations

Please share your post exam experience

Any extra advice going into the exam?

I need to definitely pass/hopefully do well on this test and I'm 2 1/2 weeks out.

I did Uworld first, then switched to Combank using OME as a resource the whole time for the last 3 months. Finished COMBANK last week and went through Savarese the last few days.

I was planning on reading/re-reading the notes I took for Uworld/Combank, with supplemental OME for the remainder of the time and do some timed sessions.

Does bioterrorism/Micro still show up in full force like it does on the other tests?

Any extra advice going into the exam?

I need to definitely pass/hopefully do well on this test and I'm 2 1/2 weeks out.

I did Uworld first, then switched to Combank using OME as a resource the whole time for the last 3 months. Finished COMBANK last week and went through Savarese the last few days.

I was planning on reading/re-reading the notes I took for Uworld/Combank, with supplemental OME for the remainder of the time and do some timed sessions.

Does bioterrorism/Micro still show up in full force like it does on the other tests?
Good luck bro, go crush it!

That test....was AWFUL. Did anyone pass with probably bombing 80-90% of the CDM??

Ugh those questions piss me off so much! I never know if how aggressive to be with my management- I’m always worried if I’m over or under ordering. When they ask what do you want to do next? I have no idea if they’ll ask about the treatment in the next question (since they want me to submit) and I want to make sure the patient is getting necessary care....so I put treatment and labs....and boom next question is so what do you want to treat with? Arghhh!!!! :mad::mad:

That test....was AWFUL. Did anyone pass with probably bombing 80-90% of the CDM??

Ugh those questions piss me off so much! I never know if how aggressive to be with my management- I’m always worried if I’m over or under ordering. When they ask what do you want to do next? I have no idea if they’ll ask about the treatment in the next question (since they want me to submit) and I want to make sure the patient is getting necessary care....so I put treatment and labs....and boom next question is so what do you want to treat with? Arghhh!!!! :mad::mad:
Taking day 2 tomorrow. Yikes not looking forward to it!

My MC questions were so vague and esoteric!

Yes. I literally did something wrong on everything.

Going to say that CDM was so frustrating and that the MC somehow even more so. Although I did check some of the random questions later and I guessed right! Never happened to me on the COMLEX before...:confused:

CDM were difficult but MCQs were just as disastrous if not more.

Scores come out next week. I pray I passed.

Yes. Indeed. Scores are up! More than passed. If I can do it, feeling absolutely miserable after each day and essentially feeling as though I was guessing on the majority of the MCQ, than anyone can.

In terms of the OMM questions, were there any CDM cases covering OMM in terms of treatments and setups? or any CDM OMM cases in general?

Second, were the OMM questions asked the standard straightforward stuff regarding diagnoses or were there more treatment/setup questions on COMLEX 3 than COMLEX 2?

Take it in 13 days and nervous af. Completed all comquest (going through again currently), all combank and 90% uworld. Comquest = 79%, Combank = 83%, Uworld = staggering 60%. Any suggestions to do in the last 2 weeks before I pull all my hair out besides keep chuggin on comquest questions and reviewing?

Much appreciate all the advice and help i can get from everyone that has taken it, I need to score well on this.

Taking it in a couple of weeks, would comquest be enough? or should I use OME or MTB as well?

Took the level 3 in June. Finished about 70% of Comquest + breezing thru Sevarese over two months on and off. Did a few CDM cases as well. Passed with 600+. COMQUEST was very adequate for prep