New Colorado DO School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvinhobbes

Attending Physician and Preceptor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Glad it’s at least being founded by a state university. Nice change from the for-profit entities and schools like VCOM who just make partnerships with a university. Location isn’t bad if you like the outdoors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to anyone who wants to live in Greeley lol.

Glad it’s at least being founded by a state university. Nice change from the for-profit entities and schools like VCOM who just make partnerships with a university. Location isn’t bad if you like the outdoors.
*Cough* RVU *Cough*

Hopefully they can get decent 3rd and 4th year rotation sites with CU opening their new branch in Fort Collins and RVU having sites already in Greeley/ NoCo.

This idea for a proposed DO program at UNC has been floating around since 2018. I certainly would not bother to invest in this venture. My reasons are many. These include:

The University of Colorado School of Medicine just opened a satellite campus in Northern Colorado at Colorado State University, and there will be increased competition for clinical rotations within UNC's footprint, the continued general proliferation of DO schools/programs, continued mid-level encroachment which will impact primary care physicians, an on-going increased cost of living in Colorado where a one-bedroom apartment costs around $1,500+/month on average, a lack of new residencies being established in Colorado, and the fact that the University of Colorado's Medical Center in Aurora is not DO-friendly. Only around 2% of their residents are DO's. Essentially, from a cost/benefit perspective, I recommend that potential DO students should pursue their education in other states.

Reactions: 3 users
This idea for a proposed DO program at UNC has been floating around since 2018. I certainly would not bother to invest in this venture. My reasons are many. These include:

The University of Colorado School of Medicine just opened a satellite campus in Northern Colorado at Colorado State University, and there will be increased competition for clinical rotations within UNC's footprint, the continued general proliferation of DO schools/programs, continued mid-level encroachment which will impact primary care physicians, an on-going increased cost of living in Colorado where a one-bedroom apartment costs around $1,500+/month on average, a lack of new residencies being established in Colorado, and the fact that the University of Colorado's Medical Center in Aurora is not DO-friendly. Only around 2% of their residents are DO's. Essentially, from a cost/benefit perspective, I recommend that potential DO students should pursue their education in other states.
Out of curiosity I skimmed their feasibility report and it looks like they plan on at least partially sending 3rd and 4th years to bordering states for clinical rotations (Wyoming here they come lol)

But yeah, I currently live in Northern Co. and COL is ridiculous. And its only going up.

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to think if they are state-funded they will get priority for rotations sites over the private RVU.

Do you know if the CU students in Fort Collins also rotate in Greeley? Or do they primarily stay in Fort Collins?
No idea, but I know its only 12 students. I really don't think it makes much of an impact for rotations. UC usually rotates at UC hospitals. Is UCHealth in Greeley? IDK. RVU can't rotate at UC hospitals so they don't seem to compete with each other over rotation sites.

No idea, but I know its only 12 students. I really don't think it makes much of an impact for rotations. UC usually rotates at UC hospitals. Is UCHealth in Greeley? IDK. RVU can't rotate at UC hospitals so they don't seem to compete with each other over rotation sites.
Pretty sure UCHealth has a hospital in Greeley, but I think there is another big hospital/ healthcare group called Banner Health (or something like that) as well that is pretty prominent in NoCo. So maybe that's where UNC is planning on having a majority of their rotations?

My biggest hope is that if this school does start up, that it will at least bring along with it some more residency spots...

Pretty sure UCHealth has a hospital in Greeley, but I think there is another big hospital/ healthcare group called Banner Health (or something like that) as well that is pretty prominent in NoCo. So maybe that's where UNC is planning on having a majority of their rotations?
Thats exactly were they said the majority of students will be rotating.

Thats exactly were they said the majority of students will be rotating.
Ah. Mustve missed that when I read it :rofl:

To be fair, even if they do open by 2025, they won't graduate a class until 2029/2030, so who knows what medicine will look like 8-10 years down the road lol

Well, I've lived in Colordo for 30 years and have not even been to Greeley, CO where UNC is. I hear it smells like a feedlot in that town. I sure hope the demand for DO graduates continues in FM/IM/EM/Peds. If not, this school will need to adopt the Caribbean model where only about 1/2 of the entering class makes it to graduation.

PS) I advised my son to attend medical school in another state. That recommendation will carry even more weight when Colorado has three medical schools in operation.

Reactions: 1 users
Best of luck to anyone who wants to live in Greeley lol.

*Cough* RVU *Cough*

Hopefully they can get decent 3rd and 4th year rotation sites with CU opening their new branch in Fort Collins and RVU having sites already in Greeley/ NoCo.
RVU gets **** for being for-profit, but how exactly did my not-for-profit institution help me? By giving me more student debt?

Reactions: 1 users
RVU gets **** for being for-profit, but how exactly did my not-for-profit institution help me? By giving me more student debt?
I don’t understand your point? RVU is extremely expensive.

Compared to University of Colorado SOM (its rival state school) that is not-for profit, RVU’s tuition is significantly higher (68K per year vs 40K at CU). My understanding is that this is pretty universal across the country: private institutions typically are associated with higher costs.

Also, RVU was absolutely roasted by NPR for its for profit model.

• Love

Compared to University of Colorado SOM (its rival state school) that is not-for profit, RVU’s tuition is significantly higher (68K per year vs 40K at CU). My understanding is that this is pretty universal across the country: private institutions typically are associated with higher costs.

Tuition is 60k. Who says they are rivals with Colorado? Colorado is clearly a better school. RVU does not compare to large state universities with their own hospital and research, most DO schools don't. They do compare well to non profit private DO schools.

NPR? lol

You are purposely cherry-picking. RVU would be cheaper for out-of-state compared to Michigan State but that doesn't tell us anything. The point is RVU just gets criticism for being for-profit but it's not like they are doing anything specifically worse than many non-profit