Army New BOLC pre-requisite 4-week program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uwkid23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions for any army dentists who can answer regarding a new training program and how it may affect Army HPSP scholars.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...urse-for-hpsp-students.1140211/#post-16534631

This thread says that there is a new pre-requisite course being implemented that is to be done before attending BOLC. I'm wondering if anyone has any additional information on this as it pertains to HPSP dentists, (the thread is in the military medicine forum).

My initial thoughts going forward were to do BOLC the summer before I would begin dental school, as I don't think the schools I hope to go to allow me much time off to do BOLC during the 4 years in school.

Could this new 4 week program significantly throw off attending BOLC before school/during school? As for most HPSP students who do BOLC after graduation, what impacts could this new program have on the timeline for starting their military careers? Specifically, if it could interfere with AEGD/other residency starting times and, by nature of orders following BOLC completion, lead to additional time in the service beyond HPSP commitments? (I ask this because the military medicine users were talking about this in regards to military physicians).

Any insight or information is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

First and foremost this will not affect anyone currently in the Army HPSP. Read that again. It applies to EVERYONE who will enter AFTER 1 October, 2016.

Currently, very few dental students can attend BOLC due to school curriculum. So, currently and in years past, we have sent dental students to BOLC enroute to their first duty station/AEGD/Residency after graduation. Starting October 2016 EVERYONE who enters the Army HPSP must attend the four week Direct Commission Course (DCC) as a PRERQUISITE to BOLC. So, by offering the scholarship to everyone in the very early spring, the idea is that you will attend the DCC the spring/summer between undergrad and dental school. By doing it this way, rather than reporting to duty in November and December because of 10 seeks (actually with in-between time 14-16 weeks) of officer training, we can carry on with the report date of end of July the way we do now.

Now, I’m no Mensa Scholar, but riddle me this: By moving the initial Selection Board back in order to select/fill as many slots as possible in January/February timeframe make for it to be easier to attend DCC prior to dental school make sense? This is as opposed to the way we do business now, Holding Selection Boards through July...

With the way that the much higher up (higher than the Surgeon General) are changing the regulations, I can honestly see the DCC being a condition of the scholarship. Want to get married, take a vacation, or just hang around the house instead of 4 weeks of officer training before dental school? No scholarship.

I'm confused- Can you please clarify, @USArmyHPSP ?

Wasn't BOLC originally a six-week course? Why were there 10 weeks of officer training in the first place?

And DCC sounds like it's an additional four week course on top of the regular six week BOLC. Is this correct?

Wasn't it possible to do BOLC directly before the start of dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't BOLC originally a six-week course? Yes.

Why were there 10 weeks of officer training in the first place? The honest answer is too political for public forum

And DCC sounds like it's an additional four week course on top of the regular six week BOLC. Is this correct? Yes

Wasn't it possible to do BOLC directly before the start of dental school? Yes and some - very few - did

Reactions: 1 user
The Army did not believe AMEDD officers were coming in with the requisite amount of knowledge to function as an Army officer and not appear "ate up" when compared against other Army officers. This additional course is to help properly indoctrinate our AMEDD officers to start them off on the right foot in their new career.

The Army did not believe AMEDD officers were coming in with the requisite amount of knowledge to function as an Army officer and not appear "ate up" when compared against other Army officers. This additional course is to help properly indoctrinate our AMEDD officers to start them off on the right foot in their new career.

What are some examples of requisite knowledge?

I can think of some reasons for this:
1. AMEDD BOLC is too easy and not strict compared to Air Force's OCS and Navy's ODS (hotels, no uniform or room inspections, weekends off post, little accountability or discipline). It is also not standardized for all branches. Many activities such as obstacle course are voided due to its high risk for AMEDD officers, or deemed not necessary for AMEDD officers (long ruck marches).
2. Most think they are "doctors first, soldiers second". Most go to BOLC 3-4 years before they actually go on active duty. Motivation is also very different for students on HPSP than others joining through OCS, ROCT, or West Point.
3. Time can be better utilized at BOLC. Teaching resilience training or English writing to medical students are examples.

It's not possible for an HPSP student to do both the DCC and BOLC in the same summer. While in HPSP you can only do 45 days ADT per year.

Once you graduate d-school, it can be done. Graduate 15 May, report to DCC 1 June, leave DCC and report to Fort Sam 3 weeks prior to the start of BOLC, then do BOLC and report to AEGD, residency or first duty station in late October/November. Remember, everyone else (who did DCC while in HPSP) will graduate and attend the June/July BOLC and report in August.

First and foremost this will not affect anyone currently in the Army HPSP. Read that again. It applies to EVERYONE who will enter AFTER 1 October, 2016.

Currently, very few dental students can attend BOLC due to school curriculum. So, currently and in years past, we have sent dental students to BOLC enroute to their first duty station/AEGD/Residency after graduation. Starting October 2016 EVERYONE who enters the Army HPSP must attend the four week Direct Commission Course (DCC) as a PRERQUISITE to BOLC. So, by offering the scholarship to everyone in the very early spring, the idea is that you will attend the DCC the spring/summer between undergrad and dental school. By doing it this way, rather than reporting to duty in November and December because of 10 seeks (actually with in-between time 14-16 weeks) of officer training, we can carry on with the report date of end of July the way we do now.

Now, I’m no Mensa Scholar, but riddle me this: By moving the initial Selection Board back in order to select/fill as many slots as possible in January/February timeframe make for it to be easier to attend DCC prior to dental school make sense? This is as opposed to the way we do business now, Holding Selection Boards through July...

With the way that the much higher up (higher than the Surgeon General) are changing the regulations, I can honestly see the DCC being a condition of the scholarship. Want to get married, take a vacation, or just hang around the house instead of 4 weeks of officer training before dental school? No scholarship.
So, for those who are being reviewed for 4-year Army HPSP right now (and could be selected within the next 1-3 weeks), will they have attend DCC? Or, do they technically get "Grandfathered" in since they were selected and will start dental school prior to October 2016?

So, for those who are being reviewed for 4-year Army HPSP right now (and could be selected within the next 1-3 weeks), will they have attend DCC? Or, do they technically get "Grandfathered" in since they were selected and will start dental school prior to October 2016?

It applies to EVERYONE who will enter AFTER 1 October, 2016.

It applies to EVERYONE who will enter AFTER 1 October, 2016.
Thank you - and I don't mean to be an idiot - I guess I just don't know what "enter" means.

Does that mean anyone who accepts the HPSP after 1 October, 2016 will have to do DCC prior to BOLC and that anyone who accepts the HPSP (and starts dental school) before 1 October, 2016 does NOT have to?
OR
Does that mean that anyone who will be attending BOLC after 1 October, 2016 will have to also do DCC prior? Meaning: anyone who has already accepted the HPSP over the past 1-3 years (but who has not yet attended BOLC) will have to attend DCC first? This would include anyone accepting it this year as well.

I appreciate your clarification, and I don't mean to be a pest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you - and I don't mean to be an idiot - I guess I just don't know what "enter" means.

Does that mean anyone who accepts the HPSP after 1 October, 2016 will have to do DCC prior to BOLC and that anyone who accepts the HPSP (and starts dental school) before 1 October, 2016 does NOT have to?
OR
Does that mean that anyone who will be attending BOLC after 1 October, 2016 will have to also do DCC prior? Meaning: anyone who has already accepted the HPSP over the past 1-3 years (but who has not yet attended BOLC) will have to attend DCC first? This would include anyone accepting it this year as well.

I appreciate your clarification, and I don't mean to be a pest.

Bump...I also would appreciate clarification on this.

Big Army pulled the implementation guidelines for implementation this summer. We are waiting for further instructions on who has to go and when. Currently, there is no DCC for this summer.

Yes, you will be paid just like BOLC or ADT in general.

Big Army pulled the implementation guidelines for implementation this summer. We are waiting for further instructions on who has to go and when. Currently, there is no DCC for this summer.

When are the deadlines for BOLCs usually? (like can you sign up last minute before they start?) I ask seeing that scrolls take a while and I imagine those who are waiting for the official scrolls can't sign up for BOLCs until released.

You will need to be commissioned prior to 15 May. There is not enough time after that to get orders and advanced pay...

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but to be clear because I'm a little confused by your phrasing, those of us who have just received the scholarship (class of 2021) do not need to go through DCC before BOLC?

The honest answer is I dunno.

Last year there was a draft guidance letter put out by Army G-3 (think big Army at the Pentagon) that stated that everyone who took an oath of office after 1 October 2016 would need to attend DCC prior to BOLC. That letter never was officially published. Then, in January the Army G-3 stated that all DCC courses after February 2017 were suspended. In January the Chief, Medical Corps insisted that he wanted to see the DCC up and running this summer, hopefully with with some changes that would abbreviate the length of the course this summer. That is where we are at right now.

1. Don't know if there will be classes this summer
2. Don't have any implementation guidance
3. Don't know if the original guidance will be set in place (EVERYONE entering after 1 Oct 16)
4. Don't know if the guidance will be changed to something like everyone entering after 1 Oct 2017

So, again, the honest answer is I dunno...

Reactions: 3 users
There is a DCC this summer and veterinary students that originally were told they didn't have to go definitely will be going. I don't know if that affects any of you, but good luck!