new abfas cbps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malleolusman

keeping it real since 1981
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else get board qualified only to find out you have to PAY FOR ANOTHER TWO M&%#$^***^%%%^ EXAMS AGAIN?

Already passed everything and am gathering cases, and the ABFAS once again changes exam requirements again in the name "change".

Members don't see this ad.

anyone else get board qualified only to find out you have to PAY FOR ANOTHER TWO M&%#$^***^%%%^ EXAMS AGAIN?

Already passed everything and am gathering cases, and the ABFAS once again changes exam requirements again in the name "change".

This has always been the case unless I’m missing something or a recent change

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

People qualifying in the future don't have to take a second set of exams with their case review. The number of CBPS cases differs and what not but there's no variation you can create where I get tested twice and you get tested once that I'm not pissed about. I'm not going to submit my cases anytime soon so I'm sure there will be another change before then.

Members don't see this ad :)
People qualifying in the future don't have to take a second set of exams with their case review. The number of CBPS cases differs and what not but there's no variation you can create where I get tested twice and you get tested once that I'm not pissed about. I'm not going to submit my cases anytime soon so I'm sure there will be another change before then.

I qualified 2.5 years ago and have the cases to sit but I’m holding out hoping they eradicate these ridiculous requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
so the changes are this, if you are qualified under the old system - you had previously taken and passed all written and CBPS exams —- if you aren’t certified by sept 2020 , you gotta take a NEW set of CBPS exams. 2 separate exams. Along with case review.

this after you have already taken and passed the written and the old part 2 CBPS exams. Terrible profession. Hypocrisy and selfishness.

this ABFAS president dr Jacobson sounds like a real gem too. Real winner.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
What’s funny about this is when they were talking about adding the new CBpS exam Last year, I called and spoke to their lead exam writer Dr Venson, and he specifically said those who were completely qualified under the old system wouldn’t be affected. Just another one thousand I gotta pay for this.

so the changes are this, if you are qualified under the old system - you had previously taken and passed all written and CBPS exams —- if you aren’t certified by sept 2020 , you gotta take a NEW set of CBPS exams. 2 separate exams. Along with case review.

this after you have already taken and passed the written and the old part 2 CBPS exams. Terrible profession. Hypocrisy and selfishness.

this ABFAS president dr Jacobson sounds like a real gem too. Real winner.

So I’m taking foot and Rearfoot CBPS and then foot and rearfoot case review? Four more tests to pay for?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

What’s funny about this is when they were talking about adding the new CBpS exam Last year, I called and spoke to their lead exam writer Dr Venson, and he specifically said those who were completely qualified under the old system wouldn’t be affected. Just another one thousand I gotta pay for this.

Last edited:
  • Haha

ABFAS is currently a bad thing for our profession. That being said, I don’t believe the above is true. At all.

You’ve always had to take two sets of CBPS exams to become board certified and if you finished residency before 2020 nothing changes. The changes are that new residency grads take a part I CBPS that has 12 Foot cases and 12 RRA cases and then don’t take CBPS again, only case review. So everyone else either has to pass the old part II (12 and 16 cases, because part I was only 8 and 8) OR the new part I (12 and 12). If you are already qualified you still have to take part II, but after Sep of this year that will be 12 and 12 instead of 12 and 16.

basically, finish residency before this September and you have to take a second CBPS exam to become certified. If you’ve already passed the current part II CBPS exam (12 foot cases and 16 RRA cases) you don’t have to take a 3rd exam (the new CBPS, which is 12 and 12).

I get that sometimes the explanations can be confusing, but I actually thought ABFAS made it pretty clear. From their website:

If you are, or become, Board Qualified before September 2020 under the current Part I examinations requirements, you will still need to fulfill the current Part II exam requirements to become certified (passing the Part II CBPS and Case Review).

If you take the CBPS exam to become certified in Spring 2019 or Spring 2020—you will take the current version of the Part II CBPS exam (12 Foot/16 RRA cases). If you choose to wait until after Spring 2020—you will take the NEW CBPS exam (12 Foot/12 RRA cases)
.“

What a flawed system. I still don’t understand how someone who graduated from residency pre 2015 can become qualified for 14 years while post 2015 grads are only qualified for 7 years? Or am I reading it wrong?