nevada mpje

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neyerx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys, im preparing to take the nevada mpje. ive taken the california law (cpje) and for those of you whos taken that exam, its very tricky with a lot of clinical based questions. i heard that the mpje was purely 100% federal law. anyone have any advice on how to study or what to focus on? im ordering the federal law book by reiss and hall. i also got the booklet nevada sent me but that booklet is so complex, its hard to study from that. im looking for something thats mpje's version of california's weisman red law book. anyone have any ideas? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
bump for any information about mpje

i have no idea what the test is like or its testing style. anyone have any input?

Now it's my turn to go for the MPJE, coming up in a couple weeks - Any guidance on this? Haven't heard much response from anyone taking Nevada Law Exam - I am currently just reviewing the book the Board sent and old newsletters.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think they would have such things as amendments such as durham-humphrey and kefauver harris? I know the newsletters give you a little in sight. In Nevada, do they require you to have certain things on a prescription label, such as expiration dates ?? I don't see it anywhere, but I have been told this. (AFTER GOING THRU THEIR HUGE BOOK - I DID FIND WHERE THEY DO REQUIRE AN EXPIRATION DATE ON EACH PRESCRIPTION LABEL THAT IS GENERATED)

Last edited:
i am scheduling my mpje right now for nevada. i currently live out of state. on the nabp website, its allowing me to schedule the test in the state i live in now. i thought you could only take the mpje in the state to which you want to be licensed in.

the test is very easy. there are a few odd ball questions that you can never predict. i had a question along the lines of how long you can operate a mobile pharmacy after a disaster and how high the counter tops have to be... stupid stuff like that. but overall its an easy test. 98% straight forward.

Any body selling LEXIS-NEXIS texas law book, or can tell me where can I buy LEXIS_NEXIS or Kaplan cacciatore guide books. I did not see it on Amazon. And if you can kindly post the link or give the ISBN for all the book, that would be great. Actually I did found one LEXIS-NEXIS book on their website for $36 but was not sure.

i am scheduling my mpje right now for nevada. i currently live out of state. on the nabp website, its allowing me to schedule the test in the state i live in now. i thought you could only take the mpje in the state to which you want to be licensed in.
No, you do not have to take it in the state you are applying to. You can take it in your own state. I live in Illinois and I will be taking the Nevada Exam this upcoming Tuesday in Illinois -- hope to relocate to Nevada sometime soon. I am currently practicing in Illinois. Will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
i had a question along the lines of how long you can operate a mobile pharmacy after a disaster and how high the counter tops have to be... stupid stuff like that. but overall its an easy test. 98% straight forward.

im wondering the answer to that. is it in the big packet they sent u?

I looked all over the big packet and couldn't find anything having to do with a mobile pharmacy. For an involuntary closure you have 60 days, but says nothing about a mobile pharmacy. If you find out let me know.... thanx.

thats good to hear. ive read the heissman book twice and highlighted the must knows (such as the laws for controls) and have read the big packet once, but the big packet is so wordy. are the federal laws pretty much the same as nevada? i did find some differences however. i was told to follow the stricter law. i hope there is none of this on the mpje-nv

I will be taking my exam tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes. I don't know if it will be on the exam, but Nevada made an amendment to the storing of food in refrigerators. The big thick book says you can, but I attended the 1 hr law C.E. in Las Vegas recently and now you cannot store any personal food or drink in the pharmacy fridge (or the fridge that holds medication) - It has not been changed in the big book yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
guys im confused. on the nv website it says this:

The ratio of pharmaceutical technicians to pharmacists cannot exceed three to one. Pharmaceutical technicians-in-training count against this ratio, but interns do not.

but in the big packet, article NRS 639.1371 says this:

the ratio of pharmaceutical technicians to pharmacists must not allow more than one pharamceutical technician to each pharmacist unless the Board by regulation expands the ratio.

if i go by the stricter one, the ratio is 1:1. if i go by which is probably more updated, it would be 3:1. what do u guys think? i also found this on the website:

No a pharmacist does not need to mail in their CE when they renew. If a pharmacist's license number appears on a random audit list, a letter will be sent requesting the pharmacist submit the required number of CE certificates.

but in the big packet it says this (NRS 639.2174):

The board shall not renew the certificate of any registered pharmacist until the applicant has submitted proof to the Board of the receipt of the required number of CE units

Last edited:
ok - let me clear up the tech-rph ratio for you. It is 3:1 ratio. But the kicker is hospitals can have 2 techs +1 in training, retail can have 1 tech + 2 in training, but anyway you look at it is a 3:1 ratio. NAC 639.250 Page 639-22

A pharmacist does not need to show proof of CE unless asked by the board to do so.
It was in the CE Law course I took in Vegas sponsored by the board.

I took the test today, it was harder than expected. Will tell more later.

Some of the questions were so stupid -- they don't even deserve to be on the test. I don't know who wrote the exam, but couldn't understand some of the stuff in it.
Flood disaster along with high temp and humidity for 7 days in a pharmacy - how would anyone know if tablets are adulterated or not. Just stuff like that. Does anyone know how many of the 90 questions are actually considered in the exam. I was told that 25 questions were actually not counted as they are questions that may be used for future exams, but don't know the accuracy of that.

I was just informed by NABP that I should not worry too much about the actual scoring of the exam, as the passing score reported to Nevada Board is not a percent value where 75% is the minimum passing score. The actual score is calculated by determining the applicants ability level on the MPJE & then comparing that ability level to the pre-determined minimum acceptable ability level established for the MPJE.

15 questions are "pre-test" questions... according to the reiss/hall book. you need a 75 to pass (the 75 does not mean you need 75% right)

but overall, did u think the mpje was tacklable? obviously there will be outrageous questions such as the flood question, but overall what did you think?

Crazy question but for those of u who've taken the mpje.. Do u think some questions may have more than one answer? Seems to be like that

Sorry I have not responded, but I have been in Nevada for the past ten days, just got back today. Received my results from Nevada board and I passed. So I thank God I do not have to retake the test. And to answer your last question, I would say Yes. One particular question had 2 correct answers - and I didn't know that until I went back into the big book to check it out. It had to do with Registered Nurse and Licensed Practional Nurse.

I do not know how that pre-test stuff actually works. But when Nevada Board sent me my letter they did give me a percentage value that I scored - So I am thinking you have to score 75% correct on the questions that they are actually scoring.

Reactions: 1 user
Since I cannot post actual questions I will tell you what to look for that I had.
1) Know the application for return to active status in detail.
2) Know who can or cannot dispense meds in hospital setting when an RPh is absent.
3) Know about ratio of tech to pharmacist
4) Know adulteration and branded material
5) Know about compounding for doctors
6) Know prescribing rights for pharmacists
7) Know how DEA determines DEA#'s for all practices including detox MD's
8) Know about transferring of Rx's between in-network pharmacies
9) Know requirements of documentation of patient counseling
10) Know documentation and surrendering of documents during investigations (check fed law-DEA on this as well )
11) Know about Controlled Drug Imprints on Stock Bottles (FedLaw not State)
12) Nothing discussed on Amendments at all
13) Know about DEA Controlled Drug Licensing and Expiration
14) Know duties of RPh in Charge
HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEWHAT ON WHAT YOU HAVE TO STUDY FOR --

Last edited:
Garzarx007, I am taking my nv mpje this month and I am definitely interested in the questions. How long did you prepare for the exam?

I bought this product called RxExam and it just basically goes thru the huge book sent out by the board with 150 questions with answers - 5 sections 30 questions in each section. You can get an idea by going to www.pharmacyexam.com on what I am referring to. I started preparing intently on April 10th and took the test Mid May - so basically about a month ahead of time.

when they say "prescriber's agent", who does that refer to? the nurses working under that prescriber? the medical interns? so in essence, if theres a question that asks who can authorize refills, would a "prescriber's agent" cover it? "agent" seems to be a really vague word to me..

also another question.. nrs 639.180 states that a license issued by the board expires on oct 31 of each EVEN numbered year. and a certificate of registration expires every ODD numbered year. But i noticed on their application it says "All pharmacist's license in Nevada expire October 31 of the odd-numbered years." so which is the answer?

Last edited:
A prescriber's (MD,PA,etc.) agent is anyone he has under his employ that he has allowed to call in Rx's, refill auths, etc. Usually a nurse from the Doc's office is who does this.

All RPh licenses in Nev expire on October 31st, Certificate of Registrations are those licenses that the state issues the actual pharmacy for operation and also state controlled license is considered a Certificate of Registration.

There is a question on the exam concerning the expiration of Federal DEA Controlled Licensing, and also know the duties of the pharmacist in charge.

Hi, I am looking to take the Nevada mpje exam and get licensed in Nevada but I went to school out of state so have no idea how to go about getting licensed and the requirements or the material to study for. If anyone can give me any tips on what I could do I would really appreciate it. My email is [email protected] and phone is 312-919-7712. Thanks!