Neutral withdrawal from public MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmt3m4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m a MD student at a US public school and I don’t know how else to say this so I’ll just say it.

I believe I’ve been unfairly targeted for dismissal due to my race, medical condition, and poor relationship with specific faculty members. In all I find the current environment extremely hostile, and I am looking into possibilities of withdrawal, if I am not dismissed.

If I am dismissed I do not know how I will proceed.

If I am not dismissed I feel it is best I do not continue at my current program, who have demonstrated very hostile and persecutory practices. Of course some will wonder what I did to warrant dismissal, and I’d be more comfortable sharing in a private thread.

Regardless, I am looking into the possibilities of neutral withdrawal. I do not know anything about how it works, and I definitely will not ask my school about this. Does anyone here understand how these things work? And if I succeed in withdrawing how transfers might work? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Transfers are super rare and I imagine you’ll have to be in good standing at your current school for that to be even considered.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe I’ve been unfairly targeted for dismissal due to my race, medical condition, and poor relationship with specific faculty members.

Three of the most unlikely possibilities possible in a U.S. medical school.

I'd put real money on the likelihood that it's your performance, your attitude and your actions in contravention to the expectations you were informed about on Day 1. I'll also add the likelihood that you don't believe that those rules, guidelines and expectations don't or shouldn't apply to you.

I'm gonna give myself a Circular Error Probable of less than 50 feet.

Edit: I'll also add that you either applied for accommodations and were denied, or didn't apply for. them because you thought the school should just magically know.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who uses the phrase "persecutory practices" makes me automatically question their side of the story.

Reactions: 6 users
Can't give advice if I don't know the problem . What are you hoping that will occur if there is a neutral withdrawal vs a dismissal? In either case one's medical career is over.
Transfers are very rare. Also the accepting school will ask the same people that you say are after you to vouch for your ability to complete medical school so you are doa there.
The only real option is to continue with one's head down without making any waves at the school if they do not dismiss you, or alternatively take the loss and move on from a career in medicine.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys I’m a MD student at a US public school and I don’t know how else to say this so I’ll just say it.

I believe I’ve been unfairly targeted for dismissal due to my race, medical condition, and poor relationship with specific faculty members. In all I find the current environment extremely hostile, and I am looking into possibilities of withdrawal, if I am not dismissed.

If I am dismissed I do not know how I will proceed.

If I am not dismissed I feel it is best I do not continue at my current program, who have demonstrated very hostile and persecutory practices. Of course some will wonder what I did to warrant dismissal, and I’d be more comfortable sharing in a private thread.

Regardless, I am looking into the possibilities of neutral withdrawal. I do not know anything about how it works, and I definitely will not ask my school about this. Does anyone here understand how these things work? And if I succeed in withdrawing how transfers might work? Thank you.
Sounds like something is very broken, and I don't mean with the school. Can you not ask for a leave of absence?

Otherwise, just from the very limited info here, I suggest simply withdrawing and work on Plan B.

Reactions: 2 users
Can you hint at all about what the situation is? No one can give advice without knowing what’s going on!