Neurosurgery specialty and neck pain HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadilv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello members. I need some help and this might be the right place.

I'm a medical student, and I want to go for neurosurgery; however, I have two issues that concern me a great deal.

1. This is more of a subjective question: I'm 38 years old and finishing med school. What do you think about me starting neurosurgery now? Am I too old?

2. I suffer from chronic neck pain (herniated discs [c-3, c-4, and c-5, c-6, calcified], not extremely severe, but very uncomfortable/no more arm pain). How is that going to affect my performance, or is it completely counterproductive if I want to be a neurosurgeon? Given the length of the surgeries, I wonder if that will be a problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

DV

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like you might need neurosurgery yourself. You have to stand in the OR all day, 7 days a week, with a heavy lead suit on your shoulders. It kills backs and feets. There is no 80 hour rule that I've actually seen enforced. It's more like 100 hours a week because after your 80 hours, you go to another hospital to work 20 more.

You'll be nearly 50 when you start practice and due to the grueling nature of neurosurgery, you'd only be able to do a few years out of it. Do you think this is worth it? I mean, life is so short. From what I've seen, the most passionate students of neurosurgery become the most jaded residents/attendings. It's got to be a practical choice as well as a passionate choice.

I agree. The age and health issues combined will make this a tough pill to swallow.You will be done with training when you are 45-46. You still have to pay off loans or are you financially secure?

A ton of neurosurgeons will retire by late 50s...there are some probably that will operate into their 70s, but I bet that is a very rare breed. If you think you're the kind that can make it til their 70s, then it might be worth it I guess.