Neurosurgery Match suddenly changed in 2009?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

errantglint

Reaction score
If you look back at NRMP Match data for Neurosurgery, the number of residency spots offered and accepted is really low (ranging in 30-50s), up until 2009 when it suddenly jumps up to 195.

Does anyone know why this is? I have two hypotheses:

1. There was an “outside-NRMP” match (sort of like Ophtho and Urology now) that occurred up until 2009
2. There is incomplete reporting of data from that period up until 2009

Does anyone have any insight into this, and if so, where to find that actual accurate residency data prior to 2009? I am working on research project that involves tracking this info accurately and so far, no one has an explanation.

Members don't see this ad.

1569973947407.png

So are you saying that most of the NSGY residents were in fact lumped in with General Surgery residents prior to 2009?

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you saying that most of the NSGY residents were in fact lumped in with General Surgery residents prior to 2009?
I dont know the answer to this, but based on that para it seems like most NSGY programs were not reported independently before that. According to 2008 charting outcomes it seems to be true.
1569975462871.png

Yes - people used to complete a general surgery internship and then 6 years of neurosurgery residency, so most nsg residents were likely reported with gen surg

No, Neurosurgery was part of the SF-match program (like Uro, Ophtho) until 2009 or so.

Reactions: 1 user