Neurosurgery Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mariabarbara

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I graduated last month and soon I'm going to start the residency. Therefore I need good books for residents and I'm not sure what is really useful in practice and necessary at the beginning.

As manual I still have to decide between Greenberg and Samandouras. Neuroradiology and Neurology books are quite expensive, and the offerings on the market numerous.

What books should I work with now? What would you buy, what do you recommend?

(It should not be too US specific, because I'm from Germany and it should be applicable here; there are almost no good neurosurgery books in German though, that's why I ask here)

THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

i think you need at first a book talking about surgery at general including neurosurgery , so i think you may like this book ( Baily and love's short practice of surgery )

Yeah, don't listen to pre-meds advising you which books to buy. My chiefs have recommended:
Neurology and Neurosurgery Illustrated by Lindsay, Bone, and Fuller
Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases by Blumenfield
The Requisites - Neuroradiology by Yousem and Grossmen.

Greenfield and The ICU Book by Marino are also staples. You can get slightly older editions of these books used online. And you'll be able to supplement these with books from med school, your department/hospital library, borrowing from other residents, and just learning different things while on service.