Neurosurgeon Residency Match Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NanoSave

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am preparing for medical school now. What advice would you give to maximize my chances to match for a neurosurgeon residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Do well in med school and don't fail out as a start.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow a neurosurgeon... for their entire workday.

Shadowing (networking is your friend), research, AOA, super high step 1.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on your post history, you're shooting for MD/PhD AND Neurosurgery? You've definitely got a long road ahead haha

Based on your post history, you're shooting for MD/PhD AND Neurosurgery? You've definitely got a long road ahead haha
You are correct, and I am fully aware of the long road. It'll definitely be difficult lol, but I think it will all be worth it in the end.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

I know you’ll probably get some smarta** type comments and while it’s fine to some degree to try and plan out your future and think about the next steps but this is really putting the cart before the horse.

At this stage there is really nothing specific you need to do to set the stage for a specific surgical sub-speciality of medicine beyond getting into a decent med school and doing well in med school. About the only thing would be to maybe do some shadowing with a neurosurgeon and/or a few other fields.

If we play the odds here there’s a fairly high chance your ultimate specialty choice changes by the time it comes to apply for residency anyway.

I must say that I share the sentiment of the above posts, but to seriously answer your question:

MD/PhD will help, solid LORs from people in the field, NSG-related publications/solid research output, get in with your home program, Step I > 250, honor as many clerkships as possible, etc.

Seems like you're in the pre med stage, though. Focus on getting into the best program you can and then worry about the other stuff once you're in. Definitely shadow a neurosurgeon attending or resident for the whole day and/or explore other surgical sub-specialties if that's what you're into. Make sure you enjoy the OR.

I don't think I would've ever thought that that would be a big requirement. Gee, thanks! Lol

A sarcastic response to an attending surgeon ain’t gonna get you far in med school, if you ever get in. Getting into med school IS actually the most important thing you can do right now. You’re basically asking us for tips on being an Olympic swimmer before you’ve set foot in the water. Ask silly questions, get the appropriate answer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A sarcastic response to an attending surgeon ain’t gonna get you far in med school, if you ever get in. Getting into med school IS actually the most important thing you can do right now. You’re basically asking us for tips on being an Olympic swimmer before you’ve set foot in the water. Ask silly questions, get the appropriate answer.

I do not know you, and you do not know me. I would like to keep this completely professional. However, I was given a smartass response, so I gave one right back. I asked for advice on things I should do to best tailor my resume for my desired field. I did not need the smartass remark.

I must say that I share the sentiment of the above posts, but to seriously answer your question:

MD/PhD will help, solid LORs from people in the field, NSG-related publications/solid research output, get in with your home program, Step I > 250, honor as many clerkships as possible, etc.

Seems like you're in the pre med stage, though. Focus on getting into the best program you can and then worry about the other stuff once you're in. Definitely shadow a neurosurgeon attending or resident for the whole day and/or explore other surgical sub-specialties if that's what you're into. Make sure you enjoy the OR.
Thank you for the genuine answer. I appreciate the response!

I know you’ll probably get some smarta** type comments and while it’s fine to some degree to try and plan out your future and think about the next steps but this is really putting the cart before the horse.

At this stage there is really nothing specific you need to do to set the stage for a specific surgical sub-speciality of medicine beyond getting into a decent med school and doing well in med school. About the only thing would be to maybe do some shadowing with a neurosurgeon and/or a few other fields.

If we play the odds here there’s a fairly high chance your ultimate specialty choice changes by the time it comes to apply for residency anyway.
Thank you.

I do not know you, and you do not know me. I would like to keep this completely professional. However, I was given a smartass response, so I gave one right back. I asked for advice on things I should do to best tailor my resume for my desired field. I did not need the smartass remark.

Lmao. You still don’t get it. I was actually offering you advice in my initial response. You were the unprofessional one in your response to me. But if you thought THAT was a smartass remark...oh dear. Wait til you get on a surgical rotation.

Oh, by the way, if you really want sarcasm here is some: It’s neurosurgery residency, not neurosurgeon residency. Maybe before going for the lofty PhD/MD goal, you should figure out proper terminology.

Last edited:

The most important thing thing you can do right now for your resume is to get accepted to medical school -> have credentials on resume. Helps if it's a well known program.

Essentially nothing else you do at this stage will make a difference in terms of competitiveness when applying to residency.

The most important thing thing you can do right now for your resume is to get accepted to medical school -> have credentials on resume. Helps if it's a well known program.

Essentially nothing else you do at this stage will make a difference in terms of competitiveness when applying to residency.

Actually not true. Ya could also play D1 college football, be a Rhodes scholar, and get drafted in the NFL. I’m sure those things didn’t hurt Myrone Rolle landing NSG at Harvard. ;)

Myron Rolle - Wikipedia

Reactions: 2 users
Hello OP, you may end up going into a NSG residency after an MD/PhD but just keep an open mind. These programs range from 8-10 years and your life and career goals will change with time.

Also after finishing an MD/PhD, doing a surgical specialty+fellowship or a medical specialty+fellowship is not gonna be that different in length of time in the grand scheme of things (I mean I'm looking at ~15 yrs lol and I'm not planning on doing a surgical specialty).

But yea -> med school + research (productivity + letters) + high step scores +/- AOA (since not every school has it)