Neuroscience or Endocrinology??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAG101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at courses to take next fall and I am trying to see which one would better prepare me for coursework in optometry. One course is neuroscience and the other is endocrinology. I was wondering if anyone that was in optometry school or is currently in optometry school could tell me which would be more beneficial. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From the perspective of a second year, I'm going to say endocrinology. Having majored in neurobiology, I had the opportunity to take both types of courses. Since you have to understand pharmacology and systemic diseases when you go to optometry school, endocrinology can be helpful. You'll understand some of the concepts a little better than you otherwise might.

Last edited:
Both are great classes to take to prepare you, but I would find Neuroscience more beneficial. At PCO we take Anatomy of the Head and Neck, and we also take Neuroscience after that. Of course we do have courses that involve the Endocrine System, but Neuroscience is more challenging, and it would be good to study that material before having the same course in OD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Endocrinology helps with a few questions on the bio section of the OAT :)

I am looking at courses to take next fall and I am trying to see which one would better prepare me for coursework in optometry. One course is neuroscience and the other is endocrinology. I was wondering if anyone that was in optometry school or is currently in optometry school could tell me which would be more beneficial. Thanks!

I'm a first year but I would say having taken endocrinology during my Masters in Molecular Biology was definitely worth it and helpful and i agree with what Ojos14 said above . Also, I TAd Histology so I really didn't have to review any of that during first year. If you havent taken biochemistry or immunology I strongly suggest those two as well if you want an edge :)

Reactions: 1 user