Neuroscience major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingofMaskedSinger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current first year neuroscience major and was wondering if anyone else on here could tell me their experience getting a bachelor's in NS at NYU or just a bachelor's in neuroscience in general. I am kind of on the fence about whether or not I should stick with it or switch to something different. How is the NS degree compared to biology or chemistry in terms of difficulty/gpa manageability?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just do what you love. I'm pretty sure the difference in difficulty between a neuroscience major & biology/chemistry major will be negligible. And choosing a major based on difficulty and not on your interests (as long as it's not insanely different) is a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Neuroscience major here and seconding SpectreDoc, it's just much easier to learn and retain info when you've got a passion for it.

Currently getting a bio degree at NYU.

I personally was never interested in neural science, but many of my friends love their classes. That being said, it is probably more rigorous than other sciences, for the single reason that many sophomores very often must take 3 or 4 science courses their sophomore year (Organic Chemistry+Lab, Physics+Lab, Intro to Neural Science, and Molecular and Cell Biology). Many people manage to do well in these courses, but it's difficult.

All the science majors are rigorous at NYU, but neural science is very heavily structured.

Potential options for NYU study away: Shanghai (probably best), London, Sydney (very popular), Tel Aviv, Berlin. Study away should be done spring of either sophomore or junior year or fall of senior year. (or during winter or summer, in which case do whatever you want)