PhD/PsyD Neuropsychology Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovedance1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best books that discuss lateralization of brain functions at a more in depth level? I would appreciate any suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any off the top of my head, mainly because lateralization is a little bit of an outdated concept considering what we know about connectivity of regions. But, one of the better bets for the laterality is probably some of the epilepsy literature, particularly with surgical resections. Gregory Lee has a great book all about epilepsy and neuropsychology. Other than that, of you want to get into the more localizationist stuff, Benton would be the place to start to get the historical work.

Reactions: 1 user
True, my statement may have been a little unclear, I'd say that brain function is much more nuanced than laterality and localization. We do have some highly specialized areas, but learning laterality/localization without a nuanced understanding of connections will get you in trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look for the term "Yakovlevian Cleft/Torque". If you hit that term, you've hit a great professional book about the subject.

I don't have any off the top of my head, mainly because lateralization is a little bit of an outdated concept considering what we know about connectivity of regions. But, one of the better bets for the laterality is probably some of the epilepsy literature, particularly with surgical resections. Gregory Lee has a great book all about epilepsy and neuropsychology. Other than that, of you want to get into the more localizationist stuff, Benton would be the place to start to get the historical work.

Ok. So what about books that discuss both localization and connectivity?

Clinical Neuropsychology - Heilman and Valenstein is good, but can be a bit dense. Neuroanatomy through clinical cases is good. Other then that, my references are usually by disorder or cognitive domain type.