Neuropsychiatry and Neurology + Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakarrott

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Iam a bit confused between the diference in Neuropsychiatry or Neurology + psychiatry fellowship and Iam somehow unable to find the right answer on my own.

So what can I do after Neuropsychiatry fellowship and what does it have to do with behavioral neurology which I often see together with this term

And what Am I and What can I do after my neuro + psychiatry fellowship?

Iam really confused and maybe its obvious but I just cannot see it. Anyways thanks for reading my answer and have a good day :)

Members don't see this ad.

Neuropsychiatry is a Psychiatry fellowship: you will be a psychiatrist with a focus on the interface between neurology and psychiatry
Behavioral Neurology is a Neurology fellowship: you will be a neurologist with the above focus
There is also the possibility of doing a combined residency where you would be double-boarded in Neurology AND Psychiatry. In this case you could see any neurologic or psychiatric patients, as well as be eligible for fellowships in either specialty.

There is a different focus depending on which side you are approaching things from. For instance, a geriatric patient might see both a Behavioral Neurologist and Neuropsychiatrist: The former to diagnose and treat a dementia, the latter to help manage the behavioral manifestations thereof. This is an overly-simplified version, but is just meant to give you a brief illustration.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a different focus depending on which side you are approaching things from. For instance, a geriatric patient might see both a Behavioral Neurologist and Neuropsychiatrist: The former to diagnose and treat a dementia, the latter to help manage the behavioral manifestations thereof. This is an overly-simplified version, but is just meant to give you a brief illustration.

Often, a behavioral neurologist and neuropsychiatrist could be indistinguishable in practice. Both diagnose and manage dementia, including prescribing antidepressants for patients with associated depression, and antipsychotics. However, a behavioral neurologist would usually feel less comfortable when depression fails to respond to one or two antidepressants, or if clozapine is necessary in controlling hallucinations and agitation in dementia with Lewy bodies, for example. Similarly, a neuropsychiatrist would not be the person prescribing antiepileptics for a patient who happens to have neurodegeneration and seizures.

Geriatric psychiatrists also have patients with dementia. They are more focused on managing behavior problems. I had a patient with dementia and alcohol dependence. I requested a geriatric psychiatry consult for management.