Neurology RITE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellame

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello anyone can tell me what to read for the RITE exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I registered on NeuroPrep www.Neuroprep.com For what I see now (but I used it for the last 4 days) the questions look like the RITE questions, they have also some radiology pics. You can register first for a free demo (4-5 questions).

I abandoned this Neurology Review book for the Boards that everyone is reading, I really think there is no point to read that book for the RITE (topics questions are sometimes crazy) and I got really frustrated last year.

Thank you. Are you not using books at all? Do you think reviewing previous pics book is helpful, anybody who has those old pics to share? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used
"Basic Neuropathology" by Gray, DeGirolami, Poirer for Neuropath (all bsci stuff and good pictures).
"Patient-based approaches to cognitive neuroscience" by Farah, Feinberg for Cognitive.
I think lots of questions are taken from the most recent Neurology issues.
For the Contemporary Issues questions I do not know where to read from, and those questions I think are tough.
I have the pic book of 2006, not on ppt.

where do u get the picture book from? is this available on amazon? who are the authors?
Pl advice.

You always get the pictures book from the exam. If you are PGY2 any of your seniors should have it.

Dear Anitra-thanks for telling about this NeuroPrep, I am using it and I do not know but all the questions are so similar to previous RITE!!!
Ahmad:eek:

I know!! But there is not much on Contemporary Issues. What are you guys reading for that?

Hello anyone can tell me what to read for the RITE exam?

I am a PGY-2 and just took the RITE exam today. I thought there was too much on Dementia, pediatric neuro, EMG and EEG. i read board review for Neurology for my sort of preparation and found it useful, especially the explainations. There was a lot about genetics as well and not only just the chromosome but the gene and channel defect. Radiology was ok but path was tough for me. I bascially made my best guess after readinng the question and through elimination process.
Best of Luck,
Fizi

Yeah, I took the RITE on Friday too, and there were definitely some themes this year. It's almost laughable how little some of the questions pertain to everyday practice, but overall is a pretty good indicator if you'll pass the written boards or not. I just browsed through parts of the 'Ultimate Review for the Neuro Boards' book that pretty much everyone in my class uses, which was time well spent. No Neuropath in that book but, if I could make just one emphatic recommendation to everyone, the Escourolle & Poirier text "Basic Neuropathology" is the greatest and most readable neuropath text ever. I read it cover-to-cover on my Neuropath rotation this year, which I would normally *never* do for any other textbook. An easy read with great pictures!

In my own studies for the RITE I've found that those little board review books aren' very good in terms of getting the kind of understanding you need to answer most of the questions. Here's what I would recommend for the various subjects:

Neuropath - disagree with the previous poster - "Neuropathology" by Richard Prayson is hands down the best text for our purposes as neuro residents. I read this during my month of neuropath and the RITE questions were a breeze.

Peripheral Nerve - "Aids to the Peripheral Nervous System" - just study this until you can name the nerve roots for each muscle and draw all of the braches of each major nerve from memory.

EMG - "Electromyography and Neuromuscular Disorders" by Preston and Shapiro is a very well written book. May be a little more than you need if you aren't planning to do EMG's in the future. I'm unfamiliar with the other texts.

EEG - Haven't found a good concise text for this. The "Johns Hopkins Atlas of EEG" that recently came out is a bit too concise in its initial text and the atlas is OK but not great. Fisch and Spellman's "EEG Primer" is a bit too much theory I think.

Neuroradiology - "Neuroradiology, The Requisites" is a great book for our purposes as neurology residents. You will be as well educated as most of the neuroradiology fellows after reading this. "Diagnostic Imaging: Brain" and "Diagnostic Imaging: Spine" also look like great texts, though I haven't read them because they are a bit expensive.

Peds Neuro - I read "Clinical Pediatric Neurology" by Fenichel and frankly none of it must have sunk in because I bombed most of those questions on the RITE. I think the text is just too dry with not enough pictures. I'm going to try a case based review I think before the next RITE.

Some other thoughts of interest: many on this site have recommended Brazis "Localization in Clinical Neurology" in the past. It's true that some of the questions are pulled from it. I think this is a good book to use as a reference, but way too dry to try and read and retain anything. Each year the AAN sends out this little flipbook "AAN Pocket Guidelines" to all the residents. I think most people throw it away, but the RITE always has about 5-10 questions pulled right from it. Definitely study the previous year's questions, many will be nearly identical. The picture of a cavernous malformation was identical from last year's. There was also another question about a pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma which I would never have known about without studying last year's. Lastly, to the poster who wants to know how to study for the contemporary issues questions. Why are you studying for that part? That's only 5-10 questions out of the whole test, most of which are common sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes Carefree I think the Escourolle & Poirier text "Basic Neuropathology" is the best book for the RITE and I hope also for the boards. I never liked the Ultimate review in Neurology. Initially I used NeuroPrep website then I thought was better just to review the old questions. More than 50% of the questions on the RITE are repeats. The picture book..well I thought more than 70% were repeats! Also, I do not think it is necessary to review EEGs for the RITE, questions are simple and basic really.

Any neurology resident can share what is reading for the RITE exam this year? I am on the Neuroprep website I think it is okay but not enough, because has only questions...I do not know which review is good?

Honestly, the best preparation for RITE exams is old RITE exams. You always get to take the picture book home, and the answer booklet for each year is made publicly available shortly after each exam as well. Most programs have a secret stash of old question books too ... ask your seniors. If you can't find the question books, at least go through the answer books for the past 3-4 years cover to cover ... with the picture books you will have the answers to go with the slides, which is immensely helpful. Again, ask your seniors, they should have good collection handed down from their own seniors. Such a collection of old booklets is invaluable ... sometimes the rerun rate of the picture-questions is staggering.

I agree that reviewing old RITE exams is helpful if you program has copies.

But I will say that I did recently come on a textbook called "laughing your way to passing the neurology boards".

Cursory book with rapid fire facts and mneumonics. It is not for everybody but it is working for me thus far.

Whoever listed all of those books before, yeah, all good books, but if you have to time, go for it.

Yeah I agree, but when you review the explanations for the RITE you do not have the questions and it can be quite difficult...for example, the explanation can go on and on on some details that for the question itself and the choices that were given in the exam are completely irrelevant. So I thought for questions practice, the Q bank of neuroprep is fine. On the other hand I agree that reading all these books is crazy but a good review would be better. Maybe I am just confused. Does anyone know where these neurology review courses are going to be held this year? I know Penn offers one usually in fall.

Well I just took my RITE yesterday. Let me tell you, I have no idea what will happen if I eat too much nutmeg and tapioca. As far as seafood toxins, I never heard of most of those. I actually studied a chapter on neurotoxicology. I was all ready for arsenic, thallium, toluene, mercury, carbon dioxide, lead, even bismuth. But pudding and spices? Who knew?

Anyways, I have to say, for stupid people like me, the book, "Laughing your way to passing the neurology boards" was a real lifesaver for this exam and I plan to continue to hit it hard for the real test.

Of course, as stated before, old RITE exams are helpful too.

I looked at neuroprep less than a week before the RITE. Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to review it in detail for but what I did review, it too was a lifesaver.

On another topic, this was my third RITE. Correct me if I am wrong here, but to me it seems that most of the stuff I saw on my last two RITEs (thus making sure I was ready for it) I did not see on this one. For example, for neuropathology, I was ready for neuro-onc and tons of muscles. Oh well, that just was not the case this year.

Does anyone have the password for the 2009 RITE Discussion and Reference Manual online?

Thanks!

Has anyone used this course? Are its questions close enough to the neuro boards? Did it help you to score well/pass the boards?

how good is the ultimate review for the neurology boards...(Fernandez, okun...) and is it worth getting this early to use for RITE and the board exam

how good is the ultimate review for the neurology boards...(Fernandez, okun...) and is it worth getting this early to use for RITE and the board exam

Any thoughts on this book?