This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuronalnick

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm an Irish undergrad med considering neurology in the future, just have a few questions that some of you may be able to answer?

1.If I go to the states and to do residency in a top tier program and come back? If i did the standard 4 years ( 1 year IM, 3 years neurology) would I come back as a Spr or consultant? If I did a fellowship too would that guarantee the equivalent of having finished HST? Would doing an MD/PhD significantly improve my CV?

2. Is an intern year in Ireland a necessity? Could I leave immediately after my degree and come back without issue on registration to the medical council?

3. How is the training pathway in Australia/ New Zealand? Are residencies more/less competitive? What about the UK compared to Ireland? Timeframe and competitiveness wise.

4. Is it possible to stay here in Ireland to train, and end up in a consultant role in a reasonable timeframe following graduation? (Is the stated 8 year pathway realistically 8 years?) and how would the quality of that training look on your resume compared to someone that had gone abroad to train- ie would someone who went abroad be more likely to end up getting a position?

5. The demand for neurologists will surely rise in the future in Ireland with an ageing population, but how are job posts currently? (I've heard they are quite scare) and what about the UK? I would ideally like to end up working in one of the two. (Also how do the NHS/HSE systems compare?)

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm an Irish undergrad med considering neurology in the future, just have a few questions that some of you may be able to answer?

1.If I go to the states and to do residency in a top tier program and come back? If i did the standard 4 years ( 1 year IM, 3 years neurology) would I come back as a Spr or consultant? If I did a fellowship too would that guarantee the equivalent of having finished HST? Would doing an MD/PhD significantly improve my CV?

2. Is an intern year in Ireland a necessity? Could I leave immediately after my degree and come back without issue on registration to the medical council?

3. How is the training pathway in Australia/ New Zealand? Are residencies more/less competitive? What about the UK compared to Ireland? Timeframe and competitiveness wise.

4. Is it possible to stay here in Ireland to train, and end up in a consultant role in a reasonable timeframe following graduation? (Is the stated 8 year pathway realistically 8 years?) and how would the quality of that training look on your resume compared to someone that had gone abroad to train- ie would someone who went abroad be more likely to end up getting a position?

5. The demand for neurologists will surely rise in the future in Ireland with an ageing population, but how are job posts currently? (I've heard they are quite scare) and what about the UK? I would ideally like to end up working in one of the two. (Also how do the NHS/HSE systems compare?)

Cheers.

Several answers to your questions depend on your citizenship and whether you'll take the USMLE exams as well as gain ECFMG certification http://www.ecfmg.org/certification/eligibility-for-examination.html. The Atlantic Bridge's website http://www.atlanticbridge.com/medicine/residency/world/ is a useful starting point for the questions I didn't/can't answer.

1. Since you're considering prestigious/competitive residencies and an MD/PhD, you could increase your chances for matching research-oriented neurology residences (e.g. http://neurology.ucla.edu/education/residency & http://www.neurology.northwestern.edu/education/pstp.html) if you do the right things. I'd advise against a PhD in the US beforehand, however; they take 5+ years and set you too far away from your clinical training. You're also facing a lot of competition in the US if you try for an MS/fellowship directly after medical school http://ticr.ucsf.edu/courses/ticr/S...eid=20&academic_year=2015-2016&quarter=Summer.

3. Australia and New Zealand utilize a priority ranking scheme for residency placement based on citizenship and which Australian state you went to medical school in, and there are more applicants than there are spots every year with more preference than FMGs. Irish trained physicians do occasionally relocate to practice in Australia, though. You'd have more luck doing your foundation years in the UK as compared to Australia. Ireland would be the easiest place for you to do your residency if you're an Irish or EU citizen; if not, then the UK would be easier than Ireland. UK and Irish medical training takes about the same amount of time.

4. It really is 8 years unless you want to become a GP, in which case its 5 (in the UK, at least). My last post (ref. my post history) discussed some aspects of this in terms of your main question.

Last edited: