Neurology future job outlook/salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkhope

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Neurology is safe in my opinion...it is too intellectual and is low paying (relatively speaking...though I think 250K is amazing to do what these guys do). Neuroscience rocks.

Members don't see this ad :)
You think a field that hasn't been able to cure almost anything yet sick people grow exponentially will have a bad job outlook? On the contrary. Neurology departments tend to get the most funding.

Reactions: 1 user
Only a premed here (though few months away from starting med school) but I think I agree with AlbinoHawk. From my superficial knowledge of the field and my constant observation, it seems that neurologists and neuroscientists haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to fully comprehending the complexity of the CNS and its pathology. It seems to me that neurology is very fertile soil with many potentials for innovations and advancements.

Regardless, I would love to hear what the experts got to say.

theres definitely a lot of room for growth in terms of treatment in neurology. however that doesn't necessarily mean a major increase in salary. it's all about reimbursement. same thing w/ patient base. you can have a huge increase in patient base as ppl get older. but these ppl will be also be more complex and will take more time, combined w/ decreasing reimbursement, means that salary may not really go up [your work hours probably will go up]

Healthcare is in a very dynamic state... it is very hard to predict what reimbursements will be like in the future. In general, salaries seem to be trending down due to ongoing reimbursement cuts. In the immediate, this translates to what looks like lower salaries in general.

As far as neuroscience - there is a huge push for unraveling the mysteries of the brain, and a massive amount of research being done towards understanding different neuropathologies and developing subsequent treatments. In this sense, and combined with a relative shortage of neurologists and neuroscientists, there will be plenty of jobs available for the future.

Who knows, though?

I have noticed a discrepancy between sites like glassdoor.com, salary.com and sites like MerrittHawkins or former MGMA studies. The former consistency display salaries 50-60k below that of the other sites. I see newly minted neurologists consistently receiving offers of 250-300k and a neurohospitalist obtained sweet gig post residency for 315k 7/7. What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?

I have noticed a discrepancy between sites like glassdoor.com, salary.com and sites like MerrittHawkins or former MGMA studies. The former consistency display salaries 50-60k below that of the other sites. I see newly minted neurologists consistently receiving offers of 250-300k and a neurohospitalist obtained sweet gig post residency for 315k 7/7. What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?

is neurohospitalist straight out of the 4 yr residency?

two points of consideration:
1) neuroscience, in general, is new territory. To me, this means: good job outlook for curious-minded people.
2) you can't outsource a neurologist. As with most medical professions, it seems safe in that regard.