Neurology as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatsupdoc28

Reaction score
I am an incoming first-year DO medical student going to a relatively new DO School, interested in going into Neurology. What can I do to be competitive when it comes to the match? Do I need research/pubs? I wanna be as prepared as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying right now. 14 interviews, 5 were T20 programs. Completely average student by design. Didn’t take STEP 1 but I did pretty well on STEP 2. I did some research I guess*…

Biggest factors that anyone can do. 1) attend AAN and chat with people 2) did Sub-Is 3) got a letter from a PD (get two neuro letters.) The letters do NOT need to be exclusively from PDs.

I only volunteered for things that were personally important to me. I didn’t do any school specific extracurricular activities… I don’t know if my school knows I exist. I have a diverse app with unique life experiences. I leaned into that.

*while my wife and I were backpacking through Europe, bumped into some dude in Amsterdam at a hostel and we shot the **** every night for a week. Dude hits me up 5 years later and asked me if I wanted to be apart of his project and he’d throw me in as an author. Got snagged by JCO… Think I added a couple commas and adjusted the font.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@AlbinoHawk DO doppelgänger right here.

Jokes aside, Neurology is not “competitive” to match into and is friendly towards DOs. Don’t fail out, maybe get a pub or two, Pass COMLEX.

@DrStephenStrange or @Postictal Raiden may be able to give you more insight.
I’ve been out of this process for some years now, so my opinion is outdated. However I can’t imagine the field getting more competitive. Pay is slightly above internal medicine and lifestyle is average, but the type of cases you sometimes have to deal with make you hate humanity.

I agree with the sentiment above. The field is very DO friendly.

A side note, the DO vs MD thing only exists up until you match residency. I rarely think about this nowadays. Actually last time I encountered a disadvantage was when I had to last minute scramble to find AOA eligible CME lectures to renew my state license.

Reactions: 4 users
Charting the Outcomes of the Match is something you can look at. Assuming they put out an updated one in 2024 since it seems to be every other year and it's released at the same time as 2020 and 2022's, you'll probably have access to an up to date version before your semester starts. Otherwise you can always look at the 2020 and 2022 versions.

Applying right now. 14 interviews, 5 were T20 programs. Completely average student by design. Didn’t take STEP 1 but I did pretty well on STEP 2. I did some research I guess*…

Biggest factors that anyone can do. 1) attend AAN and chat with people 2) did Sub-Is 3) got a letter from a PD (get two neuro letters.) The letters do NOT need to be exclusively from PDs.

I only volunteered for things that were personally important to me. I didn’t do any school specific extracurricular activities… I don’t know if my school knows I exist. I have a diverse app with unique life experiences. I leaned into that.

*while my wife and I were backpacking through Europe, bumped into some dude in Amsterdam at a hostel and we shot the **** every night for a week. Dude hits me up 5 years later and asked me if I wanted to be apart of his project and he’d throw me in as an author. Got snagged by JCO… Think I added a couple commas and adjusted the font.
Thanks for the response ! 1) I’m assuming AAN is a conference right ? 2) What does Sub-I’s mean? and 3) what does PD stand for?

Sorry I’m super new to this process lol

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response ! 1) I’m assuming AAN is a conference right ? 2) What does Sub-I’s mean? and 3) what does PD stand for?

AAN = American Academy of Neurology
Sub-I = Audition rotation where you basically are doing a working interview to let the program get to know your.
PD = Program Director

Reactions: 4 users

American Academy of Neurology is a professional society. It publishes the latest updates on the field of neurology and provides continuing medical education sources to its members. There are other benefits too. The AAN annual conference is one of the most robust international conferences in the field of medicine. Many medical students and residents attend these conferences to help networking and promoting their future careers.

Sub-internship is when you do a rotation in the specialty of your interest at another institution (can also be at your home institution but less common) where you’re given more responsibilities than the average rotating student. Like that, you get the opportunity to “shine” or destroy your chances of matching there.

PD refers to residency program director

Reactions: 1 users
How does one join AAN? If trying to match back to the midwest from a southern DO school, does one need to do step 1 or would step 2 be sufficient? @WhereMyLiberalsAt

Last edited:
Take both steps, the benefit is through the roof of passing both.

Go to AAN website and register, it’s super easy

Take both steps, the benefit is through the roof of passing both.

Go to AAN website and register, it’s super easy
I know people will disagree with this… For neurology… I personally think STEP 2 is sufficient. Of the seven T25* schools I applied to only two didn’t give me an II. I knew I was acting against conventional advice but I put my money where my mouth is and it worked out.

A side note, I think there are enough DOs throughout the field that COMLEX score do matter.

How does one join AAN? If trying to match back to the midwest from a southern DO school, does one need to do step 1 or would step 2 be sufficient? @WhereMyLiberalsAt
Just go to their website and sign up. I did mine when I was signing up for the annual conference.

*I don’t care about ranks but there are so many IMGs applying neurology where they base their rank list on these factors and imo place an unusual element/force not seen in other specialties.

Reactions: 1 users
I know people will disagree with this… For neurology… I personally think STEP 2 is sufficient. Of the seven T25* schools I applied to only two didn’t give me an II. I knew I was acting against conventional advice but I put my money where my mouth is and it worked out.

A side note, I think there are enough DOs throughout the field that COMLEX score do matter.

Just go to their website and sign up. I did mine when I was signing up for the annual conference.

*I don’t care about ranks but there are so many IMGs applying neurology where they base their rank list on these factors and imo place an unusual element/force not seen in other specialties.

I'm glad you got great results this year applying despite only having Step 2. I think Step 2 is 10x more important than Step 1. However, why do yourself the disservice of getting screened out if a program selects "Step 1 Pass" on their applications? If you take step 2 and pass, you should also be able to pass step 1.

Overall, Neurology is not a competitive field. However, never put yourself at a disservice for things you can prevent. Additionally, COMLEX is pointless if you have Step. Whether there are a lot of DOs in the field or not, most people want Step scores and if you have that then nobody cares about the COMLEX.

Additionally, COMLEX is pointless if you have Step.
This is false. I sent a program a LOI and the PC emailed me back and said my board score was beneath their preference. I clarified what score they were talking about because my STEP is pretty good. I was floored when they replied back with a COMLEX number. This program has a DO in a high level authority. I do believe this stuff matters.

Who knows maybe I go unmatched and have to soap but the default advice of STEP 1 (specifically for neurology) is outdated by one cycle. We do not have aggregate data for STEP P/F. I understand giving this advice for someone in my cycle but for an applicant post 23/24 cycle we can just wait for the data.

I had a belief their was a bias of self fulfilling prophecy when people said “you’ll get screened out” and I was smooth brained enough to test out my hunch with my own app… I mean my dude, we’re talking neuro here. It’s not even a backup for anything and almost no one wants to do it.

But honestly I feel I’m the dude arguing why we don’t need to get a D-dimer after someone PERC’ed out… we all know we’re going to get the DD in the end, and everyone will still pay a grand to get a P on their transcript.

• Wow
This is false. I sent a program a LOI and the PC emailed me back and said my board score was beneath their preference. I clarified what score they were talking about because my STEP is pretty good. I was floored when they replied back with a COMLEX number. This program has a DO in a high level authority. I do believe this stuff matters.

Who knows maybe I go unmatched and have to soap but the default advice of STEP 1 (specifically for neurology) is outdated by one cycle. We do not have aggregate data for STEP P/F. I understand giving this advice for someone in my cycle but for an applicant post 23/24 cycle we can just wait for the data.

I had a belief their was a bias of self fulfilling prophecy when people said “you’ll get screened out” and I was smooth brained enough to test out my hunch with my own app… I mean my dude, we’re talking neuro here. It’s not even a backup for anything and almost no one wants to do it.

But honestly I feel I’m the dude arguing why we don’t need to get a D-dimer after someone PERC’ed out… we all know we’re going to get the DD in the end, and everyone will still pay a grand to get a P on their transcript.

I am surprised that 1 program cares about COMLEX, but again this is likely the exception that proves the rule and would only matter if the OP applies to the same program (or similar program).

In regards to your comments below, i'll like to point out the actual OP below in bold where he wants to be as competitive / prepared as possible
I mean my dude, we’re talking neuro here. It’s not even a backup for anything and almost no one wants to do it.

am an incoming first-year DO medical student going to a relatively new DO School, interested in going into Neurology. What can I do to be competitive when it comes to the match? Do I need research/pubs? I wanna be as prepared as possible.

Not taking Step 1 would go against that. Is it necessary? Of course not. Is it a piece to the application puzzle that has no downside but only upside? Of course

I appreciate the conversation here and wish you the best of luck on your match! I do attend a school in the south but I'm originally from the midwest, were any of your interviews from the midwest area with just step 2?

Apply with no red flags. That’s it. All the other stuff only helps so it not like you shouldn’t do it. But you’re trying to match a specialty just slightly more competitive than primary care in the Midwest. It’s gonna be ok.

Reactions: 2 users

How did the Match go for you?