Neurologists in private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there many neurologists in private practice these days? I can't imagine there are that many, since most people tend to be in denial whenever a bain disorder is concerrned, but I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there many neurologists in private practice these days? I can't imagine there are that many, since most people tend to be in denial whenever a bain disorder is concerrned, but I could be wrong.

Yes there are lots of private practice neurologists in the community. Most of them are in small groups (less than 10 physicians). They mostly work in outpatient clinics dealing with issues such as seizure meds, MS, headache, peripheral neuropathy, EMG, stroke follow ups, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's evaluation, etc. The daily patient volume of a neurology practice tends to be smaller than pediatrics or IM simply because it takes longer to evaluate a neuro patient. For the new patients, you need to obtain detail history and perform good neurological exam which can sometimes take more than an hour.

Most private practice neurologists also have admitting privileges in the surrounding hospitals, where they do consults, see patients in ER, or admit their clinic patients when necessary (acute MS exacerbation, stroke/TIA, etc).