Neurological complications of COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telamir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So recently this article has made its way through reddit and some of my family members have been sending it to me:

I wanted to know what people's opinions were on this and explain to me if I'm missing something because personally I am not impressed. Delirium as a complication is quite common and non specific to COVID as you all know. Similarly, ADEM can be caused by other viruses and by vaccines and is an autoimmune reaction. Same thing goes for cases of Guillain Barré. Most of the times we come across these conditions we can't even find the offending agent. It seems to me it's a bit of selection bias in that this virus has reached pandemic levels and therefore you're more likely to detect it in patients with these conditions. Most importantly that I know of there really isn't a way to predict who would develop these or prevent it, and it seems like a bit sensationalistic. Not to mention the cynic in me just sees this and thinks "Ez pub" for the more academically inclined.

The only one I think is somewhat more specific to this virus is a hypercoagulable state and some strokes but personally I haven't seen a case of this yet. Not saying it's not possible, I just haven't come across it.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.