NeuroIR via Neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shezadeh

E.I.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that one can do a fellowship in Neurointerventional Radiology after completing either a Radiology residency or a Neurology residency. Does anyone know if the latter route (Neurology -> NeuroIR) is significantly more difficult to accomplish than the Radiology -> IR -> NeuroIR route (or even the Neurology -> Rads -> IR... route)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I read that one can do a fellowship in Neurointerventional Radiology after completing either a Radiology residency or a Neurology residency. Does anyone know if the latter route (Neurology -> NeuroIR) is significantly more difficult to accomplish than the Radiology -> IR -> NeuroIR route (or even the Neurology -> Rads -> IR... route)?

Thanks

1. It's rads --> neurorads --> neuroIR

2. If anything I've just heard many of these fellowship training programs do not offer spots to nonclincians which means you likely had to do Neurosurg or maybe neurology. They don't have the funding to have a fellow from neurorads for 3 years. The easiest way to do neuroIR is from neurosurg and that will likely be the only way at some point. It's not that neurosurg people are any better technically, it's just easier from an economic perspective to train these guys since it takes less time (2 instead of 3 years at many places). I would argue they have the better training set to determine on their own open vs endovascular approach though.

This info is based on past research I've done on neuroIR when I was looking into it. Neurology trying to get involved is still pretty new. I don't think they have the potential to take over since I think neuroIR will become part of the neurosurgery department and neurosurgeons will be the heads of these departments. Another advantage is that neurosurgeons are used to the terrible hours of neuroIR which is not something radiologists or neurologists do very often.

Right now you can get to neuroIR from multiple routes because there probably aren't enough neurosurgeons going to it. Only a matter of time though till it's only neurosurg.

Thanks

For radiologists, most must complete a diagnostic neuroradiology fellowship prior to neuroIR but there are some who enter neuroIR after training in IR (i.e. David Kumpe - a leader in IR and neuroIR http://www.uch.edu/doctor-profile/?id=65). Neurologists must complete fellowship training in stroke or vascular neurology or neurocritical care and gain requisite angio experience prior to neuroIR. Neurosurgery is the other field that can pursue neuroIR and can do so after gaining requisite angio experience.

To answer your question if it is significantly more difficult to go neurology --> neuroIR vs radiology --> neuroIR, it is hard to say. There are more neurologists pursuing neuroIR but they are still the minority in neuroIR after neurosurgery and radiology.

I disagree with some of duckie99's statements. Funding is generally not an issue when it comes to fellowship training -- if you match/get a spot, the funding will be there. Also, I have never heard of discrimination against "non clinicians". To the other point, hard-working/aggressive IRs and (radiology) neuroIRs are used to busy hours so that is generally not an issue.

I do agree that neurosurgeons in neuroIR are not necessarily technically better and, ultimately, anyone willing to pursue the long and rigorous training necessary for neuroIR (no matter which route they are coming from) should come out technically and clinically ready to provide good patient care.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go through Neurology or neurosurgery you will not be able to do diagnostics.

In radiology world, neuroIR is not popular for many reasons. Most prefer diagnostic fellowships with better hours. Or on the other hand they can do IR itself if they like procedures.

In Neurosurgery world it is not popular. You can make more money wit better hours doing spine. Also to many neurosurgeons Endovascular stuff is not invasive enough.

In neurology it is relatively popular as it is the only procedural way out of neurology. But, it is not as popular as you think. Still, it is not bread and butter of any practice, you have to end up in a bid stroke center which limits your opportunities. Also it is additional 4 years or more of education for them. Job market for general neurology is relatively good with good hours and at least for now they are one of the only fields that see slight increase in reimbursement.

It's a doable route and not unheard of (one of our stroke unit's neuroIR's got his current job this way).