Neuroimaging fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Astrocyte

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in this? What do you know about it?

I will probably do one, because neuroimaging training is so relevant in both research and clinical neurology, next to EMG/EEG.

Members don't see this ad.

Any one at all interested? How about nuclear med/functional imaging?

Check out the website for the American Society of Neuroimaging. It will tell you anything you want to know

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the website for the American Society of Neuroimaging. It will tell you anything you want to know

I did. Thanks.
Specifically, what kinds of career do graduates of these programs have? Neuroimager, as in neurorad, or research?

So if you go thru this fellowship, are you qualified to interpret all of your head CTs/MRIs without using a neuroradiologist? Or do you still have to get them to read the films?

So if you go thru this fellowship, are you qualified to interpret all of your head CTs/MRIs without using a neuroradiologist? Or do you still have to get them to read the films?

That's what I heard. Graduates can and do independently operate imaging service. Whether they are 'qualified' depends on who you ask. Obviously there is a turf battle going on with neuroradiologists. Is there any data on the performance of these graduates, compared to neuroradiologists?

And then there is the functional imaging part, which is less of a turf battle with nuclear medicine. There are actually NM fellowships for neurologist within radiology departments. In neuro, PET/SPECT are still mainly for research purposes, but that might change soon.

This is an interesting discussion. I think the turf battle with neuroradiology is very interesting--particularly in the setting of the large turf battle between cardiology and radiology over cardiac CT's and MRI's. Clearly, neurologists are far better than a general radiologist in reading head CT's and MR's. The question is simply whether neurologists, once trained by a neuroimaging fellowship, should be allowed to be neuroradiologists or not. The main argument against neurologists reading their own films is that if they don't do neuroradiology full-time they are more liable to make mistakes. I think that is ridiculous, and in fact the opposite of what is likely to happen where neurologists (assuming they receive dedicated training via a neuroimaging fellowship) are more likely to accurately interpret an image because they can now correlate it with clinical data appropriately--which radiologists are not as well trained to do.

Personally, I think that nuclear imaging will explode in about 10 years. PET might find substantiated use in deciding when to operate/intervene on patient with cerebrovascular problems. FMRI will likely be used more and more in the diagnosis of movement and cognitive disorders. Most importantly, however, will be the advent of nanoparticles which will allow completely new methods to image, intervene, and follow patients with various neurological diseases. Neurologists should get into "nanoimaging" and make this their turf, because in 20 years, it will be the new revolution in vascular medicine, if not many other areas as well...

B

i really wish imaging reimbursement would just get slashed massively so clinicians would quit trying to carve up my future field for the $$. if radiology reimbursement was cut in half, no one would be lobbying to read our studies. if we were paid like peds people, we probably get cardiac echo and ob us back.

Some people interested in neuroradiology are desirous of going into that field because it's what they love. You might be surprised at how many people in hospitals care more about doing something they enjoy rather than being heavily reimbursed.

Some people interested in neuroradiology are desirous of going into that field because it's what they love. You might be surprised at how many people in hospitals care more about doing something they enjoy rather than being heavily reimbursed.

i think i have been in a hospital. that was my point. i enjoy imaging, hence my pursuit of radiology, maybe even neuroradiology. i am questioning why clinicians want to read these studies. oh wait, i know, the $$$.

i think i have been in a hospital. that was my point. i enjoy imaging, hence my pursuit of radiology, maybe even neuroradiology. i am questioning why clinicians want to read these studies. oh wait, i know, the $$$.

Is it not possible that people enjoy clinical medicine AND neuroimaging?

You are too cynical. And you are generalizing on the hypothetical. I think given that neuroimaging is such a vital part of neurology, neurologists should have a path to proper training to read independently if they so choose, money issues aside. You cannot blame neurologists who like neuroimaging for choosing neurology over radiology, because--you might find this hard to believe--neurologists like neurology. Even for neurologists who found out after residency that they would rather read than see patients, they should be given a path tailored to the expertise in neuroimaging they already have, instead of the traditional gen rad+neurorad path.

I really did not want this thread to be about turf battles. I have read all that elsewhere. I am more interested in knowing what options graduates of neuroimaging fellowship have. Any one?