neuro vs pm&r

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam pitroda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone give pros and cons of each?? i am debating between these two.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

sam pitroda said:
anybody??

Short answer: If you think learning about the basal ganglia is cool, go into Neuro. If think learning about the 7 joints in the shoulder is cool, go into PM and R. Of course, that's just the surface. And that's an overgeneralization.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nerdoscience said:
Short answer: If you think learning about the basal ganglia is cool, go into Neuro. If think learning about the 7 joints in the shoulder is cool, go into PM and R. Of course, that's just the surface. And that's an overgeneralization.

Also think about prognosis of patients in these specialities. Treatment is symptomatic in neurology and patients usually live with chronic neurologic disorders for the duration of their lives. If the brain interests you, however, this is the specialty to get into. Treatment in PM&R, in contrast, may involve meds and/or procedures, and generally leads to improved outcomes following rehabilitation, depending on the setting of course (inpatient SCI vs. outpatient, etc.).

PublicHealth said:
Also think about prognosis of patients in these specialities. Treatment is symptomatic in neurology and patients usually live with chronic neurologic disorders for the duration of their lives. If the brain interests you, however, this is the specialty to get into. Treatment in PM&R, in contrast, may involve meds and/or procedures, and generally leads to improved outcomes following rehabilitation, depending on the setting of course (inpatient SCI vs. outpatient, etc.).

that is crap...of course in Nuaro some coditions dont get cured but some do , just as in PM&R

Both fields have a large scope. You can practice rehab via either route by the way, and in particular for TBI and stroke, neurologist are probably as good as the PMR folks. My take is that if you like musculoskeletal diseases or want to become an interventional pain doctor, do PM&R. If however, you don't, do neurology.

B

hello
i thought practising rehab sould be hard for neuro although i believe neuro does have rehab as one of the subspeciality. and i think neuros are getting into more intervrntional including pain mgmt. i dont know though if they are equally paying.

i thought PMRs have to depend on others for referal althogh some folks in PMR forum say they dont have to.

any views???

hello
i dont know though if they are equally paying.

i thought PMRs have to depend on others for referal althogh some folks in PMR forum say they dont have to.

any views???

For PM&R as I assume for neurology, the more you work the more you will make. There are some female physiatrists I know who only work part time since their spouses make a good income as well.

Inpatient physiatry depends on referrals. Outpatient not as much.