Neuro subspecialty for rare, undiagnosed diseases? / neurogenetics fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tromner.hammer

Reaction score
I'm a neuron early in my training trying to forge a path, and fellowship decisions are coming up soon, so some questions:

What subspecialty of neurologists see the rare, undiagnosed diseases?

Also, are there strong fellowships that people are aware of for neurogenetics, or in this field do most people tend to train in a fellowship or general neurology, then just start seeing patients with neurogenetic conditions?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just going to say the same thing. Called the "Venna Fellowship" after (Gopal Venna the PD) locally, the advanced general neurology fellowship at MGH is anything but general, although it is broad in scope. Tropical neuro-ID, TB neurology, AIDS neurology, lots of neuroimmune and neuroinflammatory disorders NOS, etc. If you're squarely aiming for academia for your career (community hospitals don't need experts in the neurodiagnostics of cryptic zoonotic disease or chronic management of NMDAR encephalitis) and you want to be the eighth neurologist to get consulted on patients, then this is the kind of fellowship for you. Other programs have neuroID and inflammatory disease fellowships too. This one is just pretty well established and organized.

Members don't see this ad :)
The truth is that there are rare, puzzle type diseases in many subspecialties. Neuromuscle, movement, and neuroimmunology in particular see these a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
if you plan on staying at the larger academic place, it will be helpful otherwise, it will be useless. If you are really interested try doing child neurology and then neurogenetics fellowship