Neuro program reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GVSULakers9456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been hard to find good information other than some very old threads so I am thinking we could get some discussion drummed up here. Anyone know what are the best neuro fellowship programs are? I'm sure location matters most and you can't go wrong with UCSF or MGH or whatever but would like to know any details about specific programs that people can offer. Are there any known busy programs, or procedure-heavy, or bad call schedule...or any programs with particularly good training in any portion of neuro (for example people have told me Emory is very good for head and neck).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
As a starting point, I made a list of the neuroradiology fellowships weighted according to the size of the program (including 2nd years, so this favors the 2-year programs, but this indicates something about the volume, alumni network, how infrequently you're on call), the size of the city (as a proxy of desirability), the Doximity reputation rank of the residency (as a proxy of the reputation of the radiology training, not specific to neuro), and the number of unmatched spots in the last 5 years in the Match (as a proxy of whatever that means, desirability or the admin having their stuff together):
  1. MGH
  2. NYU
  3. UCSF
  4. Hopkins
  5. Penn
  6. Cornell
  7. Mount Sinai
  8. UCLA
  9. Columbia
  10. Barrow/St Josephs
  11. Stanford
  12. BWH
  13. MIR/WashU
  14. USC/LAC
  15. UTSW
  16. Emory
  17. Utah
  18. Northwestern
  19. U Washington
  20. Yale
  21. Mayo
  22. Duke
  23. UCSD
  24. U Michigan
  25. U Miami/Jackson
  26. U Wisconsin

It's really hard to rank fellowships because at that stage of training, you're really just learning from a hand full of attendings. Just because an institute has a bunch of well known radiologist, it doesn't mean they're good at training and teaching. Often times, most of the teaching is done through the junior attendings, because they have less academic days than the more senior members.

Having an idea of what type of practice (academic/private) and location you want to end up in really helps narrow down the list.