Neuro-oncology and the role of the Neurosurgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

specialflava

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows what the role of the neurosurgeon is in treating patients with brain/spinal tumors. Does the neurosurgeon actually oversee and coordinate the treatment of the patient (i.e. chemotherapy treatment regimens, novel therapeutic clinical trials, etc.), or is he/she strictly limited to just resecting the tumor in the OR?

Members don't see this ad.

It varies. In an academic center care is usually coordinated and the case discussed at a tumor board that involves the neurosurgeons, neuroolgists/oncologiss, and the radiation oncologists so the neurosurgeon is familiar with all aspects of the treatment. Some neurosurgeons that are dedicated to neuro-oncology will coordinate chemo therapy and takes part in enrolling patients in clinical trials. Some neurosurgeons may be directly involved in the radiotherapy portion of the treatment, especially when it involves stereotactic radiosurgery. Many neurosurgeons also do benchtop and/or clinical research in neuro-oncology.

Thanks a lot for the great info! It looks like I may be able to live out my dream of simultaneously being an oncologist/surgeon/cancer researcher. Do you happen to know the time spent in patient care vs. research for academic neurosurgeons? I know for medical specialities it's typically 20:80...

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies considerably. Usually for surgical specialties the majority of your time must be spent in clinical activities to remain a competent surgeon. When not in the OR you have to take care of your patients in the hospital and clinic. It would be unusual for a surgeon/scientist to spend less than half of their work time in patient care.

Thanks a lot for the great info! It looks like I may be able to live out my dream of simultaneously being an oncologist/surgeon/cancer researcher. Do you happen to know the time spent in patient care vs. research for academic neurosurgeons? I know for medical specialities it's typically 20:80...

i don't think any clinically active neurosurgeon is doing 80% research and only 20% patient care.....that seems a bit lopsided.