neuro books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonakillmcat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good suggestions for books that are helpful in neuro. Someone posted a book a while back it comes w/ a work book too.. forgot the name. THanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

gonakillmcat said:
Anyone have any good suggestions for books that are helpful in neuro. Someone posted a book a while back it comes w/ a work book too.. forgot the name. THanks for the help.

Haines Atlas, the new edition: has tons of USMLE questions too

and do me a favour, leave the cats alone, they are noble and fantastic creatures!!

I was told by a professor that Principles of Neuroscience by Eric Kandel is basically the neuro bible. Not sure if you're looking for something for just more support beyond that type of text or not, but that's supposedly the standard. According to the professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agent Splat said:
I was told by a professor that Principles of Neuroscience by Eric Kandel is basically the neuro bible. Not sure if you're looking for something for just more support beyond that type of text or not, but that's supposedly the standard. According to the professor.
Kandel is more like the Neuro Encyclopedia Brittanica than the Neuro Bible. I thought Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases by Hal Blumenfeld was a good book.

Iwy Em Hotep said:
I thought Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases by Hal Blumenfeld was a good book.
Only good ? This book is THE BEST !

isnt kandel coming out with a new edition real soon? anyways, i have the text from undergrad. will i need it for ms1/ms2 or do i have the green light to sell it?

Blumenfeld I liked. Also checkout Introduction to the Neurologic Exam by Michael Nolan. It has great clinical info

Actually I think Kandel is the neuro bible... insofar that everyone taking neuro seems to have it yet no one reads it. Anyway... my school uses Blumenfeld and while I didn't read all of it, or even most of it, the chapters I did read are very clear and concise and helped me through topics I didn't understand in lecture. I also really liked High Yield Neuroanatomy.

I just want to repeat how awesome Blumenfeld is. It truely makes neuroanatomy interesting and helps teach you to think clinically. I was the only person in my class to use it and ended up tied for the highest grade. Use Blumenfeld with BRS and I promise you a solid understanding of clinical neuro and a shelf score in the high 90s.

mattorama said:
Use Blumenfeld with BRS and I promise you a solid understanding of clinical neuro and a shelf score in the high 90s.
Same experience here. Get this !

I think it depends what year you are. The clinical book may not help that much if you are an MS1 (depending on how your neuro course is structured). I am a MS1 (actually, I WAS, I just finished today!) and I just took neuro. We officially used kandel but I found it way too technical and not an easy read. I found Neuroscience by Purves to be really good at giving an overview of the basic science aspects of the course.

Wasn't there a book that was constructed workbook style to help with things?