Nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mysmile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a interview comming up and am really nervous about it. I heard it is a panel of 7 people. Any suggestions or interview skill secrets you would like to share. I have been told by a several people that this is only their 4th interview session and that I puts me in the first twenty people that they have chosen to interview? Is this a good sign?

Members don't see this ad.

"Let a smile be your umbrella." Old popular song. Seriously, try to relax. Interviews are not designed to find reasons to reject you, but to accept you.
I suggest you plan to arrive no later than midday the day BEFORE your interview. Check into wherever you have arranged to stay, dump your bag, ask how to get over to the dental school. Go to Admissions, tell them your interview is the next day, that you would like to speak with some dental students. When you see them, ask questions, besides what the interview is like there and the questions you are likely to be asked and the format of the interview. How do you like it here? Is there anything negative I ought to know. Where do you live? What is the cost of living here? Do I need a car to get around? What is the curriculum like? What do you do for fun? Questions like that. If you chose to attend, you should know the answers in advance. When you leave, you may want to find out what beautiful downtown whatever is like, but be sure to ask where to go and where not to go. Go back and get a good night's rest. Leave a wake up call. Now you know where you are going, how to get there, what door to enter at the school, where admissions is, and what to expect. Your anxiety level should be way down. Find an opportunity during the interview to let the interviewers know you did your homework yesterday. They will be impressed because most interviewees do not do their homework and are usually anxious to leave as soon as possible. That tells them you will consider your choice of where to go to dental school seriously.
It is hard to know the real truth about a school just by reading the PR in a catalog.
You need a student's point of view, not the management's, because if you attend you will be a student there, not faculty. You should appreciate from your college experience that students usually see things differently than faculty do.