Nervous...what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHU undergrad 5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cum Gpa: 3.13gpa
Pre reg Gpa: 3.18gpa
Science Gpa + Math: 3.2gpa
Gre:V 150 Q 158 W 4.5
Observation: 400+ observation

I really want to go to Sacred Heart, but Sacred Heart wants a 3.2 for overall and pre req gpa for their undergrad students. If I dont get in anywhere I do not know what I am going to do with my life. I already took a year off to complete prerequisites and I cannot afford to wait for another cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

@SHU undergrad 5:

The best advice is to apply broadly and ensure you meet minimum requirements for each program. Of course it is better to exceed these minimums, but you may be competitive with those scores at certain programs. Look at board exam pass rates for first-time takers. Your GRE is about at the 50%ile verbal, maybe 60-70%ile quantitative, and your writing score is good. This, besides repeating any prerequisites with under B+ or A- grades, are your surest bets in order to raise your profile. Your cumulative GPA is much more difficult to substantially change, but without at least a 3.2, you would not be considered at Indiana University and others with that requirement.

Best,

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Cum Gpa: 3.13gpa
Pre reg Gpa: 3.18gpa
Science Gpa + Math: 3.2gpa
Gre:V 150 Q 158 W 4.5
Observation: 400+ observation

I really want to go to Sacred Heart, but Sacred Heart wants a 3.2 for overall and pre req gpa for their undergrad students. If I dont get in anywhere I do not know what I am going to do with my life. I already took a year off to complete prerequisites and I cannot afford to wait for another cycle.

You would have a fair chance at getting in at UM - Flint in Michigan. Im not saying a good chance but at least a fighting chance... My stats were very similar to yours..my GPA was a TAD higher than yours but your GRE is very nice compared to mine. Plus you have lots of observation hours...Although I do hope that all 400 hours aren't from one clinic are they? Schools want hours from different settings meaning inpatient acute, inpatient ortho, outpatient ortho, neuro, nursing homes, etc etc etc....I had about 300 hours but from 4 different settings...

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply to schools that have the higher acceptance stats. Cast a wide net when applying.
Write extremely good essays.

You have a fighting chance, maximize anything and everything that is within your control!
Good luck

How do you check acceptance stats? I dont see that in the program directory.

Most schools show the average accepted stats for GPA and GRE on there ptcas profile

There is a sticky at the top of the forum with years worth of acceptance stats...search for schools you are interested in within that thread and see if anyone has gotten in anywhere with stats similar to yours.

I am also nervous. I repeated some classes to improve my pre req GPA to about a 3.5 and in my last 60 hours I have a 3.6. I have a little over 500 hours from a PT internship. I am basically worried about my GRE. First attempt Q 148 V 145 AW 3. Second attempt Q 148 V 147 AW 3. I'd take it again but I don't foresee myself really getting much higher than that. It's kind of draining my bank account as well. I also don't understand why some schools have GRE requirements listed as 1000 old and over 300 for new. The equivalent for a 1000 on the new test is like a 295. 148 Q is 600 and 147 V is 410.

Gotta study!!!!
My GRE experience

1st attempt (no study) 147 V 139Q 4A
2nd ( 2 weeks study)151 V 144Q 3.5 A
3rd ( 2 months study) 151 V 151Q 3.5A

The trick for me so I wasn't overwhelmed was to study a little every day. I became obsessed with the GRE, I began to think it was Fun. I set the back ground on my IPhone to a picture of cover of my GRE book, although my final score isn't great I came a long way and now I have a fighting chance to get into PT school, and so can you!
Study study study! PM me if you need anything