General Admissions & OTCAS Nervous about applying -- how competitive am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightredfloyd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm a (somewhat) long time lurker and first time poster on this forum. Since discovering this message board I've seen a lot of individuals with outstanding stats and as application deadlines draw closer, I'd like to have my own evaluated as well. I'd like to note that I am currently taking my final two prerequisite courses (Lifespan Development and A&P II) and do NOT plan on taking the GRE due to time constraints.

Stats:

Major: Psychology

Minor: Spanish

Undergraduate GPA:

Prerequisite GPA:
~3.8, depending on how I finish this semester

Observation Hours:
~100 in total; 39 SNF, 63 Hand Therapy

Relevant Work/Clinical Experience:
I have over 400 hours working as a rehab aide at two PT clinics since March, and over 250 hours working in a home care setting. Last summer I also participated in two concurrent internships, one at the social work department of a local hospital (~150 hours), and another at a local mental wellness center (~200 hours).

Other Extracurriculars: Two semesters as a research assistant in a developmentally-focused longitudinal study, volunteering with the organization Alpha Phi Omega, news director of my college's radio station for one year.

Schools I Am Applying To:
Columbia, NYU, SUNY Downstate, Clarkson, Seton Hall, American International College, University of the Sciences, Kean University

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I definitely understand how nervous you are. I am applying next year but have been lurking around here since I found out I wanted to apply to OT school. Your stats look pretty good! I would recommend getting more observational hours if you can in different settings such as early interventional, mental health, hospital, and school setting. There are many settings that have OTs. I would also recommend getting more volunteer hours if possible in settings that relate to OT. This would make you stand out. That with having great recommendation letters and a great personal statement, I would definitely feel that you have a great chance.