Neonatology / Neonatal ICU in US.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggx12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the path to Neonatology/Neonatal ICU in the US. Is it from Peds->ICU, or from ICU->Peds?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

ggx12 said:
Whats the path to Neonatology/Neonatal ICU in the US. Is it from Peds->ICU, or from ICU->Peds?

Thank you

First, 3 year general pediatrics residency. Afterwards, 3 year fellowship in NICU (Neonatal ICU).

There is also a fellowship in critical care which is typically referred to as PICU (Pediatric ICU) in most hospitals. These docs do not take care of neonates.

scholes said:
First, 3 year general pediatrics residency. Afterwards, 3 year fellowship in NICU (Neonatal ICU).

There is also a fellowship in critical care which is typically referred to as PICU (Pediatric ICU) in most hospitals. These docs do not take care of neonates.

what's like working in the NICU? We did a rotation in med school i week in NICU, but it was like "don't touch, don't breath, too fragile, don't even look".

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your interest. I find it very very interesting branch of peds.You will get a lot of info from this site.Remember many times what you see as student on rotation is not what actually the branch is all about. Good luck.

http://www.neonatology.org/career/default.html

we have few practising and teaching neonatologists in forum i guess. "oldbearprofessor" .....search for all his posts and you will get a lot of information you are looking for.

drv said:
It depends on your interest. I find it very very interesting branch of peds.You will get a lot of info from this site.Remember many times what you see as student on rotation is not what actually the branch is all about. Good luck.

http://www.neonatology.org/career/default.html

we have few practising and teaching neonatologists in forum i guess. "oldbearprofessor" .....search for all his posts and you will get a lot of information you are looking for.

you rang? For those who received their training overseas, often they will have done a 6 month or one year "position" there in an NICU as part of their registrar/sr registrar training. This can be more like a clinical fellowship from what I understand than a residency rotation in the US. They then may have to go "backwards" in the US by doing residency again. It used to be that one could do a fellowship, then one year of residency afterwards as a foreign fully-trained pedi, but I BELIEVE (I am not the expert on this), that it requires at least 2 yrs of US pedi residency as well as the 3 yrs of neo now to be board-eligible in pedi and neo. Again, consult a professional on this...

By the way, DRV - I haven't forgotten to get back to you - just been a bit busy writing grants and reading "Half-Blood Prince". I was brutalized by my 11 yr old who started reading it at 12:30 AM Saturday when we picked it up and was done by mid-afternoon the next day with only a brief sleep break in the middle when I forced her to turn off the lights at 3 am. Took me 2 days to read the book. Now I can return to real work.

Regards

OBP

RESPECTED oldbearprofessor

I bet you enjoyed "Half-Blood Prince" as much as your 11 year old did. I am in no hurry oldbearprofessor. Reply me whenever feasible to you.

Regards
drv

I don't even start med school until this fall and have no idea what I might want to specialize in, but I was wondering how competitive it is to get into a neonatalogy program? Is there a good chance that a person who goes into peds with the intention of becoming a neonatologist won't end up as one? I know that in life, stuff happens and there's always a chance of not getting what we want, but I'm talking about just a regular aspiring neonatalogist who hasn't committed any major transgressions or pissed people off too badly.

I ask because while I think (in my limited experience, which is mainly via television) neonatology is interesting, I wouldn't really want to be a pediatrician.

If you want to pursue a neonatology fellowship, you can probably get into one. But it is more competitive to get into one of the big name programs, such as the one where oldbearprofessor works. :)