Neonatology and other medical blogs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing these, it is always great to get many different views of neonatology. I remember when I was working as a lowly aide in the NICU how many people would tell me immediately after they found out I worked there how horrible it was that doctor's would try to keep alive such young infants. What I always found interesting is in four years of being there and seeing countless births and countless preemies I don't remember any parents ever complaining that we were trying to keep their little boy or girl alive. Its a lot different when the shoe is on the other foot I suppose. I know there can be very severe long term effects, but do you let the ones that will do all right die because of that risk? My own daughter was born into this world with complications that lead to a $75,000 bill (thank goodness for insurance) I would have gladly paid that out of pocket to have her with us today no matter how long it took to pay off. Risks allow life to continue. I think my best feelings towards neonatology though came the day I was covering the desk during the secretary's break and a woman came up to me and handed me two high school graduation announcements and asked me to give them to our attending because "If it weren't for him my boy's wouldn't be graduating today."

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I suppose you could see it as a status symbol when someone sets up a busy blog dedicated to the downfall of your life's profession.

I suppose that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, educated or not. From their points of view they are right, its just what they are willing to see and what they choose to ignore that creates conflict. They would argue the same about any point of view opposite to theirs.

Dear all,

On the contrary, I am not against neonatology. I value what you do. After all, I made the decision to ask that my daughter be saved.

What I am against is the misinformation that some parents receive. Not all parents.

My wish is that neonatology continue to update practices and technologies based on research that follows preemies older than age 2.

With respect,

Stacy

As a former avid reader of neonataldoc I was very disappointed when he "went off the air".

That WP article was just sad. They quoted two of my favorites actually - neo and urostream are both excellent writers and storytellers. I found their comments insightful and thoughtful.

I guess there are some folks out there that will find offense in anything...

LM

Members don't see this ad :)
not a public blog anymore?

OBP: Sorry about that: I just checked it at the beginning of the week and she was up and running. VitaminK must have taken it down within the last few days.

What a bummer...

VitaminK, Neonataldoc, Barbados Butterfly... All gone in the last month or so...

:confused::confused::confused:

For those interested, the pediatrician blog "Flea" has had a variety of posts about his upcoming malpractice trial.

http://drfleablog.blogspot.com/

Of interest as well is that commentary on Flea and his situation is being provided by members of the malpractice legal community, especially this blog:

http://www.newyorkpersonalinjuryattorneyblog.com/

http://www.newyorkpersonalinjuryattorneyblog.com/2007/05/med-blogger-on-trial-for-malpractice.html

Flea's trial appears to be underway. He posted some very remarkable insights into the process then took them down, presumably on legal advice. It's a new era, live blogging of a malpractice trial. I suggest if interested one checks both flea and the legal commentary site noted above daily as posts come and go.

I just noticed that, too. :(

http://fatdoctor.blogspot.com/

A family doc, she was also outed by a coworker and stopped. Same is true for a neonatal nurse who stopped hers after an anonymous coworker reported her. There were no accusations related to patient confidentiality, the concerns were, I believe, more related to what people said or implied about their coworkers and facilities.

The legal blogs are having a fun time speculating about how Flea's blog might affect his trial and whether his lawyer forced him to take it down.

It's possible that the judge required him to remove his trial blogs since, I believe, one is not supposed to discuss the details of a trial while it is in progress. I don't actually know if that holds true for the defendant or not, but thought it was a plausible explanation.

Having had personal experience with someone reading posts and misconstruing things in my "real life," I can see how it's a danger to write anything that isn't basically completely anonymous. Then, however, you lose any reality to the blogging and defeat the purspose. Quite the conundrum.

http://fatdoctor.blogspot.com/

A family doc, she was also outed by a coworker and stopped. Same is true for a neonatal nurse who stopped hers after an anonymous coworker reported her. There were no accusations related to patient confidentiality, the concerns were, I believe, more related to what people said or implied about their coworkers and facilities.

The legal blogs are having a fun time speculating about how Flea's blog might affect his trial and whether his lawyer forced him to take it down.
This blog is invitation only?

This blog is invitation only?
Hmm...this morning it was still public, but she said she was going to make it private. It used to be a very thoughtful blog. It was a bit personal though and occasionally, like others, she expressed opinions about those she worked for. That is what gets folks in trouble. Interesting to see the collapse of the medical blogs over this issue.

http://talesfromthewomb.blogspot.com/2007/05/what-is-happening-to-medical-blogs.html

is Dr. Gordon's take on this issue.

It's possible that the judge required him to remove his trial blogs since, I believe, one is not supposed to discuss the details of a trial while it is in progress. I don't actually know if that holds true for the defendant or not, but thought it was a plausible explanation.

Actually, he wrote some very negative things about the opposing attorney and made some comments about juries. He didn't say anything about the details of the case ever. It was thought that his attorney would not have wanted the jury to hear some of the things he'd written.

Hmm...this morning it was still public, but she said she was going to make it private. It used to be a very thoughtful blog. It was a bit personal though and occasionally, like others, she expressed opinions about those she worked for. That is what gets folks in trouble. Interesting to see the collapse of the medical blogs over this issue.

http://talesfromthewomb.blogspot.com/2007/05/what-is-happening-to-medical-blogs.html

is Dr. Gordon's take on this issue.
I read that, too.

Guess I'd better give 2nd thought to my resident-blog idea. :p

I read that, too.

Guess I'd better give 2nd thought to my resident-blog idea. :p

Seriously, I'd be very cautious...the temptation to write something that could be traced to a patient or coworker would be substantial. No matter how much you change things, people will see themselves or a similar situation and may become upset. I think this risk is greater than during medical school. Personal stuff, opinions about health care issues are fine, but what makes blogs like neonataldoc's interesting (and different than random internet discussion threads :p is just the stuff that gets people in trouble.

I don't know how this will play out, but it is certainly true that the view from May 2007 is very different than a year ago...

This one is written by an attorney who is addicted to medical blogs.

http://medblog-groupie.blogspot.com/

It's sad what happened to Flea but I'm afraid he may have given too much information.

I sure will miss his great information that was useful to combat parents who are against vaccinations. I've used his info and sources on many occasions.

The plaintiff's attorney asked Flea about his blog in court…he settled the next day.

His blog was an interesting read (especially the posts about vaccines) but I don't understand how he thought writing about the case was a good idea. I don't remember exactly what he wrote, but there was some stuff about jurors being idiots and he also referred to the opposing attorney as a "pillow bitter". Not exactly the kind of stuff you want read back to you in court.

Good News! Neonataldoc is back blogging. He just started again a few days ago.

LM