Neonatal-Perinatal Fellowship in the Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wife4josh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

just wondering if any of you has some experience about doing the residency in Pediatrics + Neonatal Fellowship in the military. I do not have a military obligation, so it's not that I have to join. However I am interested in being a military physician, and I have heard about two Programs for Neonatal-Perinatal medicine in the military

1) National Capital Consortium Program
2) San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium Program

Would be grateful for any hints or comments,

thanks in advance,

Kat

Members don't see this ad.

wife4josh said:
Hello,

just wondering if any of you has some experience about doing the residency in Pediatrics + Neonatal Fellowship in the military. I do not have a military obligation, so it's not that I have to join. However I am interested in being a military physician, and I have heard about two Programs for Neonatal-Perinatal medicine in the military

1) National Capital Consortium Program
2) San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium Program

Would be grateful for any hints or comments,

thanks in advance,

Kat

both of these programs are highly competitive and turn away qualified applicants each year. the NCC program is at National Naval Medical Center and, though i haven't been to other Neonatology training programs, seems to give the fellows plenty of cases and experience.

do you have any specific questions concerning either of these programs? if you aren't military you have little chance of obtaining them.

--your friendly neighborhood NCC caveman

wife4josh said:
...I do not have a military obligation, so it's not that I have to join. However I am interested in being a military physician...

It's great that you want to be a military physician, but being a neonatologist isn't going to keep you out of the Sandbox. On of our (NCC) neonatologists just got back from there. I echo Hom.'s comments. The fellows get plenty of experience and are great people (most of them at least). good luck.

Thank you very much for your kind replies. And please do not misunderstand me - my interest in neonatology does not result from trying to avoid the so called "Sandbox". I realise that when you choose for the military, then you are pretty much done with "choosing" for things in your life. It's more than just a job - it's service.

Homunculus, you wrote that if non-military one has little chance to get accepted into those programs. But could I apply under condition of becoming military? I mean I would be obliged to join if accepted...

thanks

Kat