Neonatal NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SinderellaVamp

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate psychology major thinking of going into a neaonatal NP program. I think I would really enjoy this field because I love working with babies and I find pregnancies really fascinating. I would just like some insight into this particular field from anyone who has had or known someone who has had experience with this field. Is this a good field to get into? Are the hours flexible? Is there any call? What are some of the daily duties?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Casey:

This is a good field to get into. When you say you like working with babies, do you mean neonates? Or, do you like babies and toddlers? This could mean you would be better suited as a pediatric NP.

NNPs have lots of call in many situations. I would do an internet job search and see what there is out there right now. Many of the job listings will tell what kind of call schedule is required. It is a very interesting field, and NNPs are highly respected in my experience. It's a challenging and rewarding career, but you must also be able to handle babies being very sick and dying.

Good luck in your ventures. You should try to contact a NICU in your local hospital to see if you can shadow a NNP to see first hand what it's like.