Negotiating vacation time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aldertonghen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In outpatient practice, is it possible to negotiate extra vacation (~8-10 weeks per year), and working more patient hours during regular work days to atleast somewhat offset the vacation? If so, is this only possible in private, or in academia as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Try it out and let us know!

Reactions: 1 user
I know a cardiologist who gets eight weeks of vacation but so do his other practice partners. When he is on, his is fairly busy though. And he lives in a fairly small city - where you need these types of incentives to attract docs.

The problem with giving more time off to just one doctor in the group is when you are gone, someone will have to cover your inbasket. If its a bigger group, they can probably absorb the 10 weeks of inbasket coverage by spreading it out but if you only have one other practice partner, it may seem like too much of a burden to him/her.

I know a cardiologist who gets eight weeks of vacation but so do his other practice partners. When he is on, his is fairly busy though. And he lives in a fairly small city - where you need these types of incentives to attract docs.

The problem with giving more time off to just one doctor in the group is when you are gone, someone will have to cover your inbasket. If its a bigger group, they can probably absorb the 10 weeks of inbasket coverage by spreading it out but if you only have one other practice partner, it may seem like too much of a burden to him/her.
I would be open to covering my own inbasket during the weeks off- it’s just that I would not want/be able to provide direct patient care during this time.

I would be okay living in the boonies to make this work.